Mo Wilk

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetLifeLo, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets can get a home team discount I'm sure they'll grab it. If they're paying full price then the deal will get done when it's got to get done, probably not before the Jets are making the franchise tag decision.

2. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

god ... that good ol famous " i want to be a jet for life " quote is like a curse. I remember a young humbled & talented CB we drafted once said that. Then rex told him he was the best in the league. It was curtains after that.

chris5533 likes this.
  3. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

I hear ya.. but I think these are just fundamentally different guys, personality-wise.

I think Revis and Wilkerson have really different personalities, so I'd take that into account. Revis was always heavily focusing on the money aspect. So far what we've seen from Wilkerson is that his actions have been lining up with his words ("I want to be a Jet for life") whereas Revis's did not. So, I believe Wilkerson when he says that, and I think he'd be happy to sign a long-term deal as long as it isn't tilted so far in the Jets' direction that it's taking advantage of him.

He'd probably be willing to take a lower per-year contract, in exchange for getting more money these next few years than he would have under his original rookie contract and the 5th year option. In that way, it'd be win-win for the Jets and Wilkerson. The Jets get to have him at a more affordable rate, and Wilkerson gets the security of earning a lot more money these next couple of years.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not to mention Mo doesn't have Gilbert as his uncle and Law as his mentor.

chris5533 likes this.
  5. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

6. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Knew it, cool.

7. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

They had to exercise the option by May 3rd, they will probably start negotiating the extension after the draft picks are signed.

8. MaximusD163

I knew Coples played pretty well as he recovered from his fractured ankle, but a stat that slipped past me is that he led the team with 50 QB hurries. QB hurries often result in incompletions and picks, so just because he only had 4.5 sacks doesn't mean he wasn't impactful.

9. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I agree.. I'm not sure why so many seem to want give up on him at this point

10. MaximusD163

Anyone who knows my posts knows I'm not a homer, but I could see a real breakout year for both our 1st and 2ndround picks from 2012. Hill was playing quite well before Troy Polamalu destroyed him on that one sideline reception.

11. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Lol I felt that hit all the way from my house, Polamalu is a beast.

12. MaximusD163

I don't remember exactly but I'm pretty sure Hill missed a little time from a concussion as a result of that play. With all of the info coming out on concussions, I'd have played a little hesitantly after that myself. An offseason will help him forget.

13. chris5533

Hill I don't know about. I hope your right, he's been one of the strangest players the jets have had in my lifetime. Times it looks like he can dominate, the he will disappear for weeks. I don't know what to make of him.

14. OverloadBlitz

Pretty sure it was a rib injury from the hit but he got concussed from hitting the ground?

15. MaximusD163

If that's the case I'd be more hesitant to separate my arms from my body on receptions too, so we will see.

16. OverloadBlitz

He wouldn't be the first receiver to forget how to catch the ball after the Polamalu special.

MaximusD163 likes this.
  17. Br4d

Hurries is one of those in the eye of the beholder stats. There are credible sources out there that give Sheldon Richardson 7 hurries for all of last season. Others have him in the 18 to 20 range.

I think the 50 hurries for Coples is one of those extreme exaggeration stats that credited him every time he got within a few yards of the QB on a passing play.

18. chris5533

It may be am exagerated stat, bit IMO I see him in the backfield allot and certainly applies a ton of pressure to the qb.

19. MaximusD163

True enough, but I've stated before what my thoughts on Coples are. I saw him being quite disruptive late in the year. It's beyond me how he came back from a fractured ankle so quickly, no doubt it hindered him some.

20. Br4d

Unfortunately the stat is not an official stat so I can't throw up a definitive list of the leaders. My definition of a hurry would be the QB threw the ball before he optimally would have due to pressure created by the defensive player. The sites that are conservative on hurries have the NFL leader at under 30 in all years. Last year it was often Brian Robison of Minnesota with 24 to 27, as an example. The problem is that if you want to pad the stat for somebody and give them a hurry when they were just in proximity it's easy to do.