2nd Shot at Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BakerMaker, Apr 20, 2014.

1. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Last one I had was us trading a 3rd to Philly for Desean Jackson(Whoo that didn't happen :D) so its been a while....

[​IMG]
    Rd 1: WR Odell Beckham Jr(LSU)
    - Beckham Jr just beats out Cooks for the Jets because of the punt returning ability and his familiarity with our new Special Teams coach but they are about neck and neck as far as that 3rd WR of the draft goes.

[​IMG]
    Rd 2: TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins(Washington)
    - Not sure if he slides but his recent foot injury may cause him too. Judging by his interviews, the dude seems to have made amends to not get a DUI ever again(Michael Floyd had the same thing at Notre Dame and he's been clean as a whistle since drafted by the Cardinals). Real well-rounded TE, most feel he becomes a better pro than what he showed at UW. Good blocker, good hands, very good athleticism. Real well rounded target.

*Jets Trade up with the St. Louis Rams. Jets give up pick 80 and a 2014 5th round pick to move to pick 75*

- People will hate the trade up, and believe me I understand the hesitance....I bashed Tanny time and time again for his trade ups. But we have to realize this. We have 12 picks....that means 11 or 12 of those roster spots will be occupied by rookies, 6 of those spots by rookies drafted in rounds 5 or later. This isn't including the undrafted guys we will bring in and where 1-2 of those guys catch on.

We have the ammo to do it with this 5th round pick and while it might suck to wait a whole round before adding to our team, if we have a desired target, we have got to pull the trigger and I think the player we trade up for is one Rex Ryan and our staff will be hot after.

[​IMG]
    Rd 3: CB Bashaud Breeland(Clemson)
    - We have to be fortunate if this guy falls to round 3(He might because of the depth of this class) and I think he is tempting to our staff enough to give up a 5th round pick to trade up a few spots to make sure a team like SF doesn't take him(Or Detroit if they bypass a cornerback in the 1st 2 rounds).

I think our front office going to the Clemson pro day has to mean something....some speculated it was to look at Sammy Watkins(No way he makes it to us) or Tajh Boyd or Martavis Bryant....the visit might very well have been for Breeland instead. Rex with his familiarity of Clemson because of his son has visited games and has a knack when it comes to finding athletic cornerbacks. Breeland offers solid value and while there are a little bit of holes in his game. Got suspended for half a game after a big hit to Jameis Winston and we know Rex loves that chippy play....very chippy and aggressive cornerback. Sometimes almost too aggressive but that can obviously be coached. Also will fall under the common problem many cornerbacks have and that's not turning the head around when the ball is thrown to the WR which is almost an instant penalty these days. Again, coach-able.

I thought about this guy in round 2 but I really do think we either trade up to get this guy in round 3 or trade down in round 2 and nab him. He's someone to watch out for, if Rex has any say in the picks(I think he has some but of course not the final say).

[​IMG]
    Rd 4(TB's pick): OLB Jordan Trapp(Montana)
    - Well rounded game, very good run stopper. Should be Pace's successor after 2014 but we'll play on situation downs over Pace.

1 year of Revis for Sheldon Richardson and Jordan Trapp sounds good to me.

[​IMG]
    Rd 4: G Chris Watt(Notre Dame)
    - Might not have high upside compared to other guards but that's what we need. A solid, well rounded guard who is pure insurance if or when Willie Colon gets hurt(On a 1 year deal) and if Will Campbell isn't ready to step in year 2 after the conversion from DL to OL. Brian Winters also will be challenged by Watt throughout training camp for that starting LG spot.

[​IMG]
    Rd 4(Comp pick.) ILB Preston Brown(Louisville)
    - Another natural run stuffer that will be a backup year 1 but be expected to replace David Harris if he is not kept after this upcoming year. Idzik, and Rex personally went to the Louisville pro day, would not be a shock if we drafted a Cardinal somewhere in this draft.

[​IMG]
    Rd 6: WR Michael Campanaro(Wake Forest)
    - Has had some health concerns but a real scrappy WR who should be a no.3 or no.4 for us. Might not be around by round 6 but due to the WR class, he may get drafted lower than what his ability really is. Decker/Beckham Jr(Punt Returner)/Kerley/Hill or Nelson/Campanaro/Ford(Kick Returner) offers up a worthwhile WR core. Absolutely need to get a WR high in this draft, 2nd one could go either way....with 12 picks(11 for this draft), we can stand to get another one.

[​IMG]
    Rd 6(Comp pick): FS Kenny Ladler(Vanderbilt)
    - Hope to find our fixture at FS here, is a project but a worthwhile flier to take on here. Very productive career with Vandy.

[​IMG]
    Rd 6(Comp pick): SS Isaiah Lewis(Michigan St)
    - Was a big part of the Spartans success on defense last year. I am of the small camp that we should grab two safeties in this draft...one FS to push Dawan Landry and maybe take Josh Bush's spot on the roster. One SS to backup Antonio Allen if not succeed him and to challenge Jaiquan Jarrett's spot on the roster. Our safeties are pretty mediocre so with Ladler and Lewis, while each are 6th rounders....we should at least have solid backup projects who will contribute on special teams and offer upside if injuries happen.

[​IMG]
    Rd 6(Comp pick): OT Justin Britt(Missouri)
    - Was the full time starter for Missouri at LT for 4 years....projects to be more of a project RT. Should fight with Obushi for the backup RT spot if Breno Giacomini ever to go down. Better pass blocker than a run opener.

[​IMG]
    Rd 7: P Tom Hornsey(Memphis)
    - We need a long term fixture at this position and have needed it for a while. Hornsey is a rare 25 year old heading into the draft but did great things for the Tigers, in particular his senior season. Yet another Australian punter so may attract some Aussie fans to reunite with the Jets after the Ben Graham era. Pretty standard punter that is considered the 2nd best in this class, worth a shot at training camp to give a veteran punter competition. A punter is an important thing to have when you're a team that relies so much on winning the battle of field position.

2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Nice draft, your best so far.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

wow i'd absolutely love it if our draft went down like this!
    love the first 3 picks in particular, and wouldn't mind trading up a few slots in the 2nd or 3rd if the guy they value is there.

not to nitpick a 6th round choice, but i wouldn't draft Campanaro.
    I'd prob take Hornsey in that slot, and lock up our future Punter sooner.

great job..

4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good to me, especially the first few rounds.

5. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Sign me up for this one.

6. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Great job. I love the players you selected in the later rounds, although I like Avery Williamson better at ILB.

7. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

This is a very solid mock.

8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Breeland is too slow and lower down to trade up to the third round. I would look at McGill or both Gaines before Breeland. Good mock otherwise.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I loved the first two rounds, but you lost me on the trade up, especially for a slow CB. No freaking way that better happen.