Theoretical 1st Round Trade Offer

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Spike_D, Apr 22, 2014.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, 31 is too low. They'd miss out on the 3 WRs for certain

2. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Fuck those 3 wide receivers, they won't be the BPA at 18 guaranteed.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

If one of the top CBs are still on the board Rex and Rob Ryan need to hook up their respective GMs to engineer a trade down to 27. The Saints are the best trade down partners IMO. I think they will likely be the last pick to still get one of the top 4 WRs. I think it's a fore gone conclusion that the Panthers will be picking a WR.

4. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Depends on who's on the board at the time. If it's just WR's that are worth an 18 I'd do the trade because the depth is just so deep at WR this year that almost anyone graded out at the first 2 or 3 rounds would be a first rounder in most draft years. Almost the same with TE really, but it only runs to maybe the 2nd round.
    The exception to this would be if Evans were still on the board at #18, I'd take him In a heartbeat. I'd also take Gilbert there in a heartbeat, but neither of them are likely to be there at #18. I'd think about Clinton Dix perhaps, but I really don't like taking Safeties in the first round unless they're truly truly special.

5. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

No way, we need immediate talent and that is a huge drop off

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

This.

_

7. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Id be all for trading down a few spots to gain another second. Take a DB and receiver then maybe a guy like Van Noy or Amaro

8. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

BPA is something only fans talk about and maybe GMs that don't have talent at any position and are in the process of blowing up their team. For everybody else you draft for need and maybe then pick BPA among the positions you NEED to fill.

9. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

So what your saying is ... the Jets had a greater need on the D-line at #13 last year than we had at WR (Patterson), Safety (Vacarro) or TE (Eifert)? Wrong ... the Jets had Richardson graded out as a top 4 player on their board REGARDLESS of need. They took the BPA according to their board.

Donttasemebro likes this.
  10. OverloadBlitz

OverloadBlitz Well-Known Member

Exactly, your first round pick should be the player you have rated highest on your draft board regardless of position.

11. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

absolutely do the trade. The Jets still have a lot of positions that need upgrading. Especially this year.

12. NCJetsfan

That doesn't mean that those other receivers would be good fits in the Jets' system or a great compliment to Decker. IMO you don't pass up the opportunity to draft someone perfect for your system to take someone who may not even be a good fit.

13. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Trading down a few spots would likely not net us an extra second, if you mean the 22-24 range. Maybe if a team like Carolina trades up then maybe, because it's a bigger drop that we have to be compensated for.

If we traded in the 22-24 range I think we'd get a 3 at best.

14. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

That's kind of the point however, there really is no one receiver that perfectly fits the system, you probably want someone who can stretch the field but there are a number of them that still fit that bill in the late first mid to late 2nd. to me the difference between the #3 WR ion the draft and the next 5 or 6 WR's isn't much. Some are faster, some are taller, but they've all got some warts. You can fall in love with one WR, but the reality is that despite how deep this draft is there are only 2 receivers worth falling in love with, Evans and Watkins. Watkins won't be there at 18, Evans is very unlikely to be there at 18. Even Cooks and Beckham have a 50/50 shot at being gone by 18...

15. NCJetsfan

That's where I think you're wrong. Cooks, Beckham and Lee are perfect fits for a the Jets WCO. No player is perfect, but their skills and abilities can be a perfect fit (or about as close as one can get to perfection) for one system and not so good for another. Aside from Watkins, those three WRs are the best 3 in the draft for the Jets with their present system and with Decker at one starting WR position.

Only having 2 WRs that you can fall in love with is your opinion, not mine, and obviously not alot of other fans.

16. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I think it would depend on the Jets board and how they've graded their top 30 overall picks. If the 18th guy on their board has a 4.2 rating, and the 30th guy on their board has a 4.0 rating, I make this trade in a heartbeat. However if someone falls to 18 who they feel is a bluechip, can't miss, how the hell did they make it to this pick type of player - then I make the pick.

Spike_D likes this.
  17. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

How about this line of thought .... Kelvin Benjamin, Allen Robinson and to a point Cody Latimer are gaining steam (at least around the media) - whats to say that Marqice Lee - who seems to be losing steam - doesn't drop to 30?

One can't count on that happening, but you see odd things every year.

18. NCJetsfan

Robinson might be a very good fit. I don't see Benjamin as a good fit or a good prospect. I have read that Latimer has been rising, but I haven't seen enough footage or read enough about him to make an informed analysis/decision. As good as he may be, I can't see him being anywhere near as good a fit as Cooks, Beckham or Lee.

19. Spike_D

Spike_D Active Member

I think I confused the point I was trying to make ... so let me try again. What if Benjamin and Robinson go before Lee ... and Lee ends up dropping to 30!

So many what ifs .... but with two weeks left ... what else is there?

20. NCJetsfan

I can't see that happening. I guess it could, but I would be stunned. At any rate, I wouldn't take Benjamin at all, and doubt I'd take Robinson over Lee.