Northwestern Football Players Allowed to Unionize

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by displacedfan, Mar 26, 2014.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the logic of this ruling either creates a slippery slope that could deem all students as employees of the school if they are under scholarship or perform any function for the school in which the school makes money, or it is illogically narrow and as such excludes other students for the sake of convenience to its own cause.

the argument is that a scholarship is essentially pay. But a scholarship can't essentially be pay, it either is or it isn't. If it is, it's value has to be taxable. Are athletes now going to be taxed on the value of their scholarship? if not, the claim that it is pay has no merit.

secondly, the argument hinges on school's profiting from their athletic departments and that the football players bring in millions. But the ruling can't apply only to football players, it would have to apply to all athletes even in non-revenue generating sports to be logically sound. but in those students cases the argument of profit doesn't apply, therefore the argument of profit is completely irrelevant unless this ruling only applies to football players, and if it does it is an illogical ruling. for the argument and ruling to have merit it has to apply equally to all student athletes, but also exclude non-student athletes. the context of the arguments do neither.

3. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

All great points. I had similar thoughts in my head about non athletic scholarships. I guess it really comes down to how they came to conclusion that these football players unionize. If it's vague enough, it opens the door for non athletic scholarships, other athletic scholarships, and then of course how much profit each sport makes.

4. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

There is a specific section in the federal tax code that exempts scholarships from being considered income, scholarships are never taxed.

On the one hand, college scholarships are valuable. On the other hand, college football is clearly a business in this era. When college football started, it was not a business, so it was fair that athletes didn't get paid. Now it is a business at many schools, yet the old rules, based on that old situation, still apply. If they were making money in the beginning, believe me, athletes would've been getting paid from the beginning.

5. Umphpool

Umphpool Well-Known Member

This is an interesting case...