wich College team you support

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by RubenDias, Jun 19, 2014.

1. 74

74 Well-Known Member

ah I have no idea lol not really into bball but I'm VCU fan when it comes to that

2. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Are they seriously changing it, I thought you were joking?

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

They already changed it years ago. The BS is that it was done for branding purposes. The real reason was because it sounded like a disparaging term for Native Americans. The university is about 10 minutes north of the Onondaga Nation Reservation and our mascot used to be the Saltine Warrior-supposedly the remains of an old Indian Chief dug up on campus (but it's never been confirmed) -but the actual costumed mascot was a war painted head-dressed spear toting savage. Not optimal by any standard, but the name Orangemen and the Saltine Warrior had nothing to do with each other. The term Orangemen came from our school colors from back in the late 1870s. They did away with the Saltine Warrior mascot back when I was a sophomore in 1978, but kept the name Orangemen until 2009 and most alumni don't buy the branding excuse, we all think it was an attempt to avert and Orange Privilege issues that might crop up.

There is still one of my favorite statues of the Saltine Warrior right in the middle of campus near the Dome. It's beautiful and I think very respectful.

_

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I always heard that it had more to do with the "men" part of orangemen.. i.e.. being P.C. towards the women's teams. You definitely know more about this than I do, I just heard that theory. "Syracuse Orange is not sexist like orangemen was - and their won't be confusion with the women's team name" stupid I know.

were the women's teams called the Syracuse Orangewomen or the Syracuse Lady Orangemen anyway?

5. JStokes

They were the Orangewomen. The University and Nike say it was branding to drop men and women from the name.

I think it was PC.

_

alleycat9 likes this.
  6. 74

74 Well-Known Member

Wow I had no idea. That would piss me off too.

7. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

I know I'm in the minority, but I think college sports are a lot more boring. When I do watch, and root for anyone, it's any of the WI teams. In addition, I randomly have enjoyed rooting for Clemson, was/am a big Spiller fan, feel like they always get exciting fast players, really liked Tajh Boyd, we got him, and also eventually learned of Rex's son Seth going there. Plus I've grown up with my house always filled with Tiger stuff (the animal), since my mom always loved Tigers. In addition to that, my gf has a garfield paw sticker on our entertainment stand that I always think is the Clemson logo.

All of that added up has gotten me to try rooting for Clemson now.

8. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

While I'm in the college thread, can somebody tell me the order of bowl games? The National championship is the big one I know, but how are you supposed to tell between Orange, Rose, Tostitos, etc. what bowl is the best one?

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

That gets really confusing and takes some reading to understand lol if you search Google, you'll find a break down of all the different bowl games and explanations.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

When I saw "Orangewomen" I thought you were talking about that intolerable pumpkinheaded bitch that just got fired from NFLN.

One of the many dumb bitches that openly schlobs the knob of anything Patriots.

11. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I went to NYU, so aside from supporting the Track and XC teams (which I was a part of) I don't really support a college team...seems weird. I'll root for UCONN because I'm from CT and I have a lot of friends who went/go there but I really don't care that much. All about the pros.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Byz, just curious, do you know who she was (name)? Tried looking her up, no luck.

13. BrooklynJet97

BrooklynJet97 Active Member

Florida Atlantic University!

2014 C-USA Champs!

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Nicole Zaloumis

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

East Tennessee State

16. TheJetLife

TheJetLife Well-Known Member

Been trying to get into college football for some years now. I've supported South Carolina since before Lattimore's first injury. Witnessed both of his injuries watching both games on tv. Also trying to follow Oregon more closely. Though, I'm nowhere near knowledgable on what teams are good and which players are the ones to watch.

17. JStokes

I love QBs so I watched a lot of them last year, but in doing so saw some offensive players I'll keep an eye on.

Still for QBs I put Mariotta at the top of the class follwed by Brett Hundley then Winston, but I also like Mannion.

RBs I want to see TJ Yeldon and Corey Grant.

WRs I like Davante Adams, Amari Cooper and Josh Harper.

_

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

JetLife, ESPN has a "College Gameday" show on Saturday mornings (9:00 a.m. to noon Eastern). This show is held on the campus of one of the schools that's hosting one of the notable games that day (with cheerleaders and the local student crazies in the background). The last 15 minutes or so of the program involves the panel (Kirk Herbstreet-former Ohio St. QB, Lee Corso-former Univ. of Indiana football coach, Desmond Howard-former Univ. of Michigan great and Chris Fowler-and sometimes a non-football 'celebrity' guest) giving their predictions for that Saturday's games. With their predictions they give their reasons and from them you can get a snapshot of which teams are hot and which are not.

The show's climatic moment comes at 11:58 when Lee Corso makes his prediction while donning some mascot-type item and generally making an ass out of himself, however sometimes it's funny (e.g. one time shooting off rifles at the Univ. of Oklahoma while incorrectly picking the Sooners to beat Notre Dame). Here's the clip:

#38 joe, Aug 20, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Michigan State Spartans, I can't get enough of the green and white.

Unlike my loyalty to the jets, I can root for other teams, like Auburn, Georgia, Gamecocks..etc

No Florida teams though, they can't lose enough for me.

20. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Lots of Spartan fans here! I went to MSU Law. Go Green!