Report: Vick disappointed Jets coaches by taking QB2

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 101GangGreen101, Aug 22, 2014.

1. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ck-disappointed-jets-coaches-by-accepting-qb2

I don't know if I believe this or not. I think Vick is thinking a few things.

1. Geno will struggle and it will be a matter of time before I go in.
    2. He really wants to mentor Geno Smith (Geno and Vick go back a long ways). He wants to start, but wants to help the team even more.
    3. He's content with the 5 mil and is just coasting.

Thoughts?

2. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

The coaches are disappointed that he's intelligent enough to know that he wasn't going to get the job without Smith screwing up.

Why make it a big controversy and create acrimony between him and Smith and divide the locker room? Instead he's just quietly going about his business, supporting the guy the team is determined to start, and being ready in case his number is called.

He wants to start, but he knows that pitching a fit will just make him a bad teammate. You have to accept the will of the coaches, and there's no reason to be disappointed in him for acknowledging reality and doing his best to thrive in it.

The 1985er likes this.
  3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

He also knows he's only here for a year so why not just play the good guy role, cash the checks and get the hell outta dodge in the offseason. Vick knew the deal going on and the only reason I can think of that the CS is upset is because Vick didn't go along with the bullshit "competition" that really never happened except in Idzik's mind. I guess Vick was supposed to go along with the charade but when he didn't, it put the pressure on the GM/HC to continue the "competition mantra".

Vick knows he's outta here next season and also that the Jets need him as insurance. Right now, outside of Rex, Vick is the most protected guy in the organization.

Big Blocker likes this.
  4. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The whole dog thing was really stupid, but since he's been with the Jets, I think Vick has handled himself very well, and smartly. I've been impressed.

NY Jets68 and OverloadBlitz like this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Just another example of Rex Ryan not knowing how to manage a QB situation. This is year 5 out of 5. Vick has done him a favor by not complaining or making it a big story.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I dont really buy this at all.

Maybe I'm being naive, but this just sounds like trying to stir the pot.

7. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah I dont mind Vick being upset about this, all Idzik has preached was "competition" but this was clearly over before it started.

legler82 likes this.
  8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Imo this is really on Idzik. The story refers to the perception that "Smith has always been viewed as general manager John Idzik's guy". Yeah, I share that perception for obvious reasons. But if Idzik is in effect allowed to decide who the starting Qb is, more or less, then that's on him.

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

Did you read the article? Not one source quoted.

10. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Yup. Even worse than NYDN trash.

11. 101GangGreen101

I know the Jets are trying to make the media sweat in regards to the "QB decision", but the more you wait the more articles such as these come out.

Just come out and say Geno is the starter for week 1 and week 1 only.

This is correct, that's why I mentioned I don't really believe it.

12. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

Eh, this stuff is so stupid. Sometimes the CS just shoots themselves in the foot with this kind of stupidity. I mean I think bringing Vick in was a logical thing to do, and it's pretty simple, they want to find their quarterback of the future, which Vick is too old to be, so of course Geno will get a chance to succeed, but should he fail like last year, Vick is insurance that this season won't be simply thrown away. This is a simple explanation that pretty much everyone would get, but no, first the Jets CS starts with the "real competition" bs, like they think all the fans and media are retards, and now this BS...

13. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Really if this is true whoever said it can SMD. I was hoping for a real competition and what we got was nothing but a farce. Vick never had a god damn shot and it wasn't because he didn't cause a controversy by saying dumb shit to the media.

fuck off.

14. GangGreenBlues

GangGreenBlues Well-Known Member

This happened because Idzik and CS have somewhat different priorities. Idzik's job is to build a long-term sustainable successful team, whereas the CS wants to win now (since their asses are on the line). That's why Rex and co would probably prefer to start Vick, since he might better right now than Geno, but that would just be a rehash of the Favre saga. A guy past his prime, only getting worse every year, no thanks. We might still end up there later in the season if Geno stinks up the place, but we need to decide this year if Geno is a long term solution or not, and if not get some other young guy in in the offseason. That's how you build success.

15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Idzik and Rex are a perfect match. Both are inept. Rex wants to save his favorites, and Idzik wants to save money. Neither want to admit they fucked up the draft and free agency. We need a CB and we need a WR. We somehow managed to fuck all that up. Idzik is more Tampa Bay than Seattle and Rex is more Oklahoma Northeast State than Baltimore. We need to start over after this season. Woody just worries about PSLs and politics. 7-9 looks to be our destiny with the talent and coaching that we have. My hope is that if Geno falls flat, Vick is inserted as the starter and that we change our defensive strategy to hide our glaring weaknesses in the secondary.

16. 74

74 Well-Known Member

And my hope is that your hands get stuck up your ass along with whatever else is up there so that you can't type any more posts on here

ConcordeChops and stinkyB like this.
  17. BrowningNagle

I disagree. Idzik preaches competition at every position. Sometimes it's bullshit but in this instance he went out and got valid competition for Geno Smith at the QB position. But at GM his work stops there....

The problem is the coaching staff needs to fall in line with that philosophy. They need to do their part to see the competition through. The idea that the best man for the job will have that job. Holding a quasi-competition in which Vick has no chance of winning isn't doing their part. Maybe it's coming from the offensive coordinator, Vick's old buddy being honest with him, maybe it's just Rex being too loyal to the incumbent, who knows, but Rex is the boss there so I am blaming him.

Whatever happened to letting things play out and giving the best man the job??? Rex hasn't done that with the QB position once in his tenure. He decides who his QB will be and then stacks the deck for him. He did it with Sanchez in 09 with Clemens, he babied Sanchez without competition for the next few years -a geriatric Brunell. Then he stacked the deck for Smith last year and this year. WTF.

People can see through this bullshit. That's all Vick is doing. By all accounts Geno Smith has HAD a great camp and preseason - he very likely may have won the job anyway. Why the fuck is Rex afraid of his damn feelings like he was with Sanchez. Let competition play out as it may....

He definitely doesn't, but say Simms looked like the second coming to Tom Brady in practice right now, do you really think Rex Ryan gives him a shot past 3rd string? I sure as hell don't. I don't think Simms would see the light of day buried behind Vick and Smith because of Rex's loyalty

18. 101GangGreen101

I think if Geno was really struggling, it would become a true competition but all things are indicating Geno improved this off-season so they want to give him the start.

19. BrowningNagle

I highly, highly doubt that. Especially considering there is a precedent. Sanchez struggled in training camp and preseason for years. Rex Ryan never had him compete for his job until he completely fell apart.

20. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

I didn't even read this and I'm not going it just the media starting shit.