EJ Manuel

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by DMarsh6, Aug 23, 2014.

1. MoWilkNYJ

MoWilkNYJ Well-Known Member

I admit I only watched the first half of that game, but I did not see EJ throw to anyone besides either his primary target or his running backs. He was either staring down his receivers, or dumping it to CJ/Jackson.

When I watched Geno he was progressing through his reads, throwing it to all different players. I remember hearing his first 5 passes were to 5 different receivers.

2. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Yup.

If you look at the stats in the Giants game, there were six or seven receivers that had one or two catches for X amount of yards. Spreading the ball out to every target.

3. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I liked him coming out of FSU but thought the Bills reached for him and he shouldn't have started from day 1 like he did.

Some QB's are able to step in right away and develop. Its clear Manuel would've benefited big time from playing behind a legit QB for a season or two then take over when he's ready.

4. Monty_Droppings

Monty_Droppings Active Member

I agree completely, I find it hard to call anything a "reach" when what you are reaching for is what you believe is going to be your franchise quarterback,. That being said, I thought EJ Manuel was like a Blaine Gabbert type quarterback prospect coming out of FSU. Raw, with prototypical size and good physical tools. Both needed to hold a clipboard for a year or two behind a veteran. Jacksonville threw Gabbert into the fire, and unfortunately he developed some bad tendencies behind a poor offensive line and a suspect wide receiver core. Unlike Gabbert, who I think has already been "tainted" with poor habits based off of his time as a starter, I still think EJ still has time to turn things around granted the Bills give him proper support. I do believe Buffalo wanted to sit him and develop him, but IIRC, Kevin Kolb got injured and EJ was thrown into the fire. I didn't get the whole draft a #1 receiver then trade away your previous #1 receiver, But I am not the familiar with the Bills cap situation and I can only assume it was due to cap reasons; but having dealt with the Sanchez era I strongly believe that a QB really needs to have continuity in his WR core, and that the whole "trusting your WR" doesn't come overnight.

I think down the road Geno and EJ will always be compared to each other, both coming out of the "weak" 2013 QB draft class, being the #1 and #2 QB off the board. I wish nothing but the best for EJ Manuel and his career, and hope he does well, and that is coming from a Jets fan.

5. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I think the Bills better have an idea in mind for their next attempt at a franchise QB. I've always hated Manuel, for the reason you stated: everything is a check down. His completion percentages are usually high but he doesn't move his team because he refuses to throw the ball down the field. I'm not just mindlessly bashing a division rival either, I'm really afraid of Ryan Tannehill even though a lot of people are down on him. I think he could be something special for the Fins, Manuel not so much.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Every time I see his name I think "E J Man-well"

7. Barcs

Barcs Banned

It certainly doesn't help his development to get rid of Stevie Johnson going into his 2nd year. That's chemistry down the drain. Watkins is good, but can he carry EJ like Calvin Johnson carries Stafford? I guess we'll find out.

8. 74

74 Well-Known Member

HEY THANKS FOR THE FUCKING INSIGHT

9. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I CAN'T HEAR YOU! TYPE LOUDER!

Because this post is loaded with insight.

10. 74

74 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Monty_Droppings

Monty_Droppings Active Member

Enjoy your 6 game ban.

strngplyr likes this.
  12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I get the feeling there's a regime wipeout about to happen in Buffalo.

When the coach becomes publicly irate at the personnel staff that tells me that he has no confidence in the players they have provided. That's going to get everybody fired if the Bills have a bad season.

13. TutanKhaman

TutanKhaman Member

EJ Manuel might be the worse passer in the league. At FSU he held them back for 2 years. The minute Winston replaced him they won the National Championship.

14. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He looked decent against the Bears.

15. BuffaloBills06

BuffaloBills06 Active Member

16/22 173 yds 1td 1int
    6 car 19yds 1td
    Win

I'll take those states any day!

16. BuffaloPhysco

BuffaloPhysco Member

This is a joke right?

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Thank you Woodrow Wilson

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

lol enjoy your 173 yards per game ! Bye bye now have fun out there !

19. BuffaloPhysco

BuffaloPhysco Member

173 yards on the road against last years second best offense and WE still won. EJ will probably still only have around 175-200 this week when we blow out the fish. We have all the pieces for EJ to just be a "game manager"

20. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

I'll try to be impressed about 173 yards and their offense. If only all the teams got to play against the other teams offense. Remind me how many games he was injured last year and/or how's Sammy's ribs? I'm sure your one offensive weapon worth mentioning will be healthy all year too. At least you'll get another first round pick next year... Oh wait.

74 likes this.