NY Rangers 2011-2016 Season + Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey Forum' started by FrankTheTank, Oct 7, 2011.

1. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

talking about trading for a center right now that could/would make any impact is moronic. Im pretty sure all of you guys have been NHL watchers for more than 5 minutes.
    A) We have to wait to see what Stepan brings when he gets back and B) ITS FUCKING OCTOBER.......we're still about 11 months away from the trading deadline--you know, when you can get an impact player from a non contender.....

oh and before Hack yells at me for not answering his question....no, I wouldn't give Staal 36 for 6

2. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

Even if the trade deadline is a long time way away, the Rangers lack talent at center. Even last year, center was a problem. I highly doubt that the Rangers are going to get better production out of the center position this season. Its the same group except for Hayes instead of Richards, which likely isn't even an upgrade. The Rangers are a player like Eric Staal away from having a very strong group at center.

3. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

his brother makes megabucks, so his worldview is skewed and he's going to want stupid money. If he comes closer to earth something can be done because the cap is gonna go way up

4. Sanchize0829

Staal's going to get what he's asking for in free agency, probably even more. As overrated as I think he is, its not often that a defenseman like him is in free agency.

If he wises up, maybe they can agree to give him the same exact deal that they gave Girardi. I don't think he'd deserve that, but I think it would be a fair middle ground.

5. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

He is an solid defensive player who can protect others on the ice, thus giving them more opportunities.

6. HackettSuxTNG

Do you? Then why do you endorse him to be the first line center on this team?

7. HackettSuxTNG

Really? When was the last time he played a full season?

8. HackettSuxTNG

Been watching since '86, when a rookie named John Vanbeisbrouck carried the Rangers to the Conference Finals.

I am assuming that Stepan will return 100% healthy, and play as well as he has throughout his career: He is the worst shooting first line center in the NHL with a shooting percentage that was lower than half the second line centers in the league.

Actually, we are 4 months from the deadline. And who here said to trade Staal tomorrow? In fact, I say wait right until the deadline so you can get some minutes out of Talbot, and ensure that Hank gets whatever rest is needed to be ready for a playoff run. THEN trade Talbot.

Then you say just let him leave for nothing?

9. jonnyd

youre retarded dude. Very much retarded. I have been probably the biggest anti-Stepan guy on this board....until you went off the deep end about it of course. Not only that but two weeks ago you apologized to me for mistaking me as a Stepan supporter. What kind of massively mind-altering drugs are you on exactly?

10. HackettSuxTNG

I apologize... I said "you" but I meant this board.

No drugs here.

11. jonnyd

hahhaha right on

12. TommyJ

TommyJ Well-Known Member

Stepan couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. His shot needs a lot of work. I did like how played with the broken jaw though in the playoffs.
    over all, the rangers are going to be hard to figure out for a little while, last year it took a long time for them to get going but it did happen.
    hopefully not so long this year. 3 wins in a row now, keep it up.

13. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

The guy who constantly bashes Derek Stepan is a supporter of Tanner Glass.

I think that about says it all.

jonnyd likes this.
  14. Sanchize0829

He can PK, thats it. He makes a number of stupid decisions on the ice that take himself out of the play and he commits some very stupid penalties. The fighting part really isn't important if fighting, hitting and penalty killing are all he can do. Kevin Klein, Dom Moore and Malone can all fight as well, if needed.

15. Sanchize0829

Last season. He only missed ten games, which isn't that many. The injuries have made him a worse player, but he doesn't get injured as often as people like to say. He's played a full season(70+ regular season games), five out of his seven seasons in the league.

He'll get whatever he wants in FA. There is always a team or two that overpays because a top pair defenseman like him is such a huge need. Matt Niskanen got seven years at over 40 million dollars. Do you think Staal would get any less?

16. HackettSuxTNG

Tanner Glass in not playing in what is supposed to be the single most prolific scoring position on a team that is constantly being shredded apart for not scoring enough goals. Derek Stepan is.

What the hell is your point?

matt robinson 17 and joe like this.
  17. HackettSuxTNG

If I didn't know any better, I would think you were writing about Brian Boyle. He was loved, yet Glass is hated. I don't get it.

matt robinson 17 and joe like this.
  18. HackettSuxTNG

Last Season, his first full season after the eye injury (which was a freak accident, but nonetheless is a real concern), Staal scored 14 Points (ties for 130th among defensemen), with 3 Goals (tied for 114th) and a whopping 11 assists - (Tied 120th) His dominating ice present garnered him a +/- of -1. To put this in perspective, and this is really scary, he had less assists than Michael Del Zotto (13).

Anyone who gives Staal six years after that showing is insane.

19. Sanchize0829

Boyle was one of the best penalty killers and face off men in the league. He also upped his game in the playoffs. I've yet to see any of that be true about Glass. Lets not forget that Boyle is also much better in the possession game.

20. Sanchize0829

Staal doesn't play a game that is built on offense. If offense was all that matters, then Girardi wouldn't have got the contract that he got. Also, +/- isn't always accurate.

With that said, I wouldn't give Staal 6 years and 36 million, but I'm pretty sure that someone will if we don't.