Rex should get a contract extension right now...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Truth4U2, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

Agreed - I posted this earlier - Rex wants a new toy that he can add to his defense each year. While this happens, we have been neglected getting top end talent for the offense which has led to us being in the position we are in today. Top that off with some of those d picks being busts or bad fits and you are way behind.

tomdeb likes this.
  2. NyJet4Life

NyJet4Life Active Member

Because YOU don't know them, doesn't mean they're not good. The point you attempted to to make is totally meaningless. and altogether absurd.

3. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

if you fire rex, you should fire idzik too. but, if you keep rex, then replace the o-line and receiver coaches .

4. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

"new toy" good description.

5. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think we're seeing the problem of forced marriages in the NFL. Idzik should have been allowed to bring in his own guy or Rex should have been made defacto GM and allowed to shop for the groceries. Now we find ourselves at yet another crossroads regarding the strategic leadership of the team. Rex had a decent run here but sometimes, its better just to move on and work someplace else. This franchise needs new vision and a new direction. Right now, we're treading water and for every foot we move forwards, we move sideways a foot. Doing the trig means a longer trip to the SB than it has to be assuming the SB is still the goal.

BleedJetsGreen1981 and tomdeb like this.
  6. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

With a team built by Mangina. Rex has slowly and steadily turned the Jets into the 1-6 laughingstock they currently are. Rex is a fat blowhard and his lack of personal discipline has found it's way into the fabric of the Jets. I'm a Pats fan but i hate that the AFC East is a joke. Imagine how much fun the season would be if all the games were as competitive as Thursday's game was?

tomdeb likes this.
  7. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

or, you know, he was excited about becoming a HC and he hoped that this was going to be his guy and that their careers would grow together - he got a dumb tattoo to celebrate what for him was a new and exciting time in his life (not least he was getting paid millions of dollars to do something he loves) - plenty of dumb tattoos out there done for much dumber reasons.

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

in what way is there a lack of discipline on the Jets? is it the number of penalties? weird because the Pats have the second highest number of penalties in the NFL so are they even less disciplined? In 2013 we were about mid-table, in 2012 we had the third lowest number of penalties in the NFL.

is it the number of jets arrested? the Jets have one of the lowest arrest rates of any team in the NFL.

or is it the number of times that Jets players get into trouble on the field and fined? we have had 4 fines this season. the Patriots have 5

aside from the very tired media perception of the Jets I am really not getting why you feel that there is a lack of discipline?

FJF, JetLifeLo and BacktoQueens like this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

if the team was 'built by Mangini', then that just shows how good a coach Rex is.....as Mangini couldn't do shit with them.

when opposing fans want your coach fired, you know your coach is doing something right.

10. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Let me guess--you got Rex Ryan's face tattooed on your body? Only way you can justify your adamant defense of a coach who hasn't made the playoffs the last three years, has his team 1-6 and a laughing stock this year, and is probably the worst game manager the NFL has ever seen by witness of the fact that he almost always runs out of timeouts before the last two minutes of every half. Rex is your hero, right?

11. Cromartie's_kid

Cromartie's_kid Well-Known Member

I will agree that the misuse of timeouts and clock management has to fall on the head coach. Calling 2 timeouts in the 2nd half prior to a last minute drive is inexcusable.

12. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

I wish there was a way to demote rex to defensive coordinator and bring in a head coach lol

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

Sorry, no tattoos here, I just think he is a good coach that has some flaws the same as pretty much every coach and who has been saddled with very poor play from the QB position his entire time with the Jets - give him a good QB and people would be crowning him a genius the same way they do with Belichick - people that think this is more about coaching rather than talent on the roster are going to be very disappointed when we lose a good coach, replace them with one that will likely be much worse and THEN realize what the problems are.

14. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I'd agree with your position if I thought Rex WAS "saddled," as you say, with poor QB play. REX RYAN is the only constant on the jets the last 6 years. I cannot accept the premise that Rex has had little/no input into draft and free agency when every year they waste their #1 pick on an injury-risk like Millner or a DE that Rex plays out of position like Coples. Rex stayed WAY too long with Sanchez--When the rest of us wanted him out after 2011, Rex and Co. give him a $20M extension ("Mark gives us the best chance to win!")! Sorry, Rex and his defense-first drafts are a large part of where we are now, including QB poor. That idiotic pick of CB McDougle in the 2014 THIRD round (lots of good players left) and Rex's chirping that he was the "steal" of the draft (Rex loves CBs) shows you that Rex has plenty to say about who they draft--Several teams didn't even have McDougle on their entire draft board according 2 sources that I read.

Red Menace likes this.
  15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

how could they have cut Sanchez early given his crazy pre-Rookie deal top 5 pick deal? its not like Sanchez showed zero potential in 2011 to just give up entirely and take that insane cap hit - we have had two QBs since Rex got here neither of whom has performed well and the FO has never once had a good vet on the books during that time - anyway, I am close to the point of being past caring what the Jets do or don't do anymore - I just get the feeling that this franchise will never be good enough - so why waste my time getting worked up about how a bunch of millionaire players that probably couldn't really care less about how the team do or don't do on the field (beyond doing enough to make sure they don't get cut).

cut rex, don't cut rex, draft a new QB, stick with Smith, it probably wont make any real difference anyway

this team :confused:

16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I hear ya.

Can we at least all agree that Woody Johnson really, really, fuckin' sucks? :mad:

17. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Being a STH I give U many, many gold stars for this post! :)

18. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

May we lose bad enough today to solidify Rex's firing and move Idzik into the closshair.

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Rex has cost more people their jobs than the 2008 recession, and you want to give this clown an extension.

He can't win unless the schedule is easy, he cannot manage games, timeouts, the clock, his own personel on the sidelines, needs the best CB in football to make his defense work, heaven forbid he makes adjustments and plays to the strenght of what he has like the rest of the coaches do.

2 of his hand picked OCs have been disasters. MM running trick plays in the red zone, at the 15 yard line, who does these things and gets away with it at the NFL level?

Mangini and Tanny brought in more impact players in three years than Rex and Tanny and Idzik combined.

The core of that 2009 and 2010 team were put together by Mangini and Tanny, including the free agents.

Get rid of this clown, he is a primary reason the offense is in this terrible shape, he has had 6 years to implement his philosophy on both sides of the ball and he has failed miserably.

The man has contributed to most of the losses the jets have had this year, with his relentless blitzing on 3 and long, which don't work 99% of the time.

The jets have gotten more sacks with a 4 man rush than with their blitz and he still can't get himselft to play a zone oriented defense and let his front 4 do their job.

Rex is the leader of the apple dumpling gang with this CS and it's embarrassing that our fans want him to stay another 3 or 4 years.

I'm waiting for Rod Serling to appear one day during a jets game, and help me realize it was not real what has been going on with this team.

#179 Red Menace, Oct 26, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
    Snoopdogg and tomdeb like this.
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Truer words never spoken!