EBOLA VIRUS...coming to a town near you!

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by franzman9, Aug 1, 2014.

1. mute

mute Well-Known Member

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

3. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Especially if you can't count on people who know better than most everyone else to do the right thing.

deathstar likes this.
  4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

exactly.

5. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

cuomo finally gets it right and the feds tell him to fuck off. go figure.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a no-brainer. It's a temporary quarantine that expires after the period in which the disease would manifest in the quarantined patient. It's directed specifically against people at high risk of having been exposed to the disease. It's been implemented after a highly publicized incident in which a health care professional was lax in the self-quarantine guidelines that were in place beforehand. There's no question the individual traveled by public transportation while infectious.

The federal response to this is embarrassing on many levels, one of which is that federal guidelines did not prevent an infectious patient from potentially infecting hundreds of other people.

joe likes this.
  8. john90

john90 Member

hear, hear!

9. Barry the Baptist

I had to look things up a little but apparently the ok was there to quarantine people because of SARS (and they did in New York City) but I found this, what Christie or Coumo have done is perfectly legal assuming it is legal for them to do so in their state.

"States generally have authority to declare and enforce quarantine within their borders. This authority varies widely from state to state, depending on state laws. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), through its Division of Global Migration and Quarantine, also is empowered to detain, medically examine, or conditionally release persons suspected of carrying certain communicable diseases. This authority derives from section 361 of the Public Health Service Act (42 U.S.C. 264), as amended."

Basically this nurse needs to sit down and have a nice glass of Shut the Fuck Up

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't understand her deal. she wants to risk her life to go help people in Africa ... fine, that's great. You're a better person than I am.

Why is she unwilling to protect the people around her right here at home by just being safe with the quarantine? smelly bitch.

11. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

She's a stupid drama queen. Taking that photo like she was trapped in a plastic hell or something for ever or something. Selfish.

Also like you said her and her supporters argument that a temporary quarantine will deter medical personnel from going over there is really stupid. Like someone who is contemplating risking their life fighting a horrible disease in a primitive setting is going to change their minds because they have to spend a little time in quarantine when they get home.

13. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

She might not be likable, but she's right.

Ignorance and fear are poor rationales for the what is about as nanny-state of a policy as you can imagine.

And, yes, a three week quarantine likely will deter volunteers from going. At some rate. It's a not insignificant cost. Especially when you believe in the work you are doing and are confident that proper procedures can protect you in nearly all cases.

The problem is psychological. You are incentivizing against what you want to happen. Health care workers who volunteer are doing it in no small part because they believe they are helping people and that their work is valued. If they instead start getting signals that they are causing problems, of course they will be less likely to volunteer.

#453 Cappy, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

So you believe we should trust healthcare professionals to make the right decisions for everybody around them after their return?

Because up until the Doctor got on a subway train with flu-like symptoms, knowing he had likely been exposed to Ebola less than 2 weeks earlier, I probably would have agreed with you.

People are very fallible. We do stupid things all the time. Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes not. When the potential consequences of doing something stupid are pretty severe, as they are in this case, I don't think forcing people to think about what they're doing is a bad thing at all.

And I get that it's not easy to spread Ebola until you are really sick, as opposed to just entering the symptomatic stage, but as a long-time subway rider that wouldn't make me feel any better if an obviously sick person got on the subway next to me and rode along.

Knowing that the guy *doesn't* have Ebola because all of the people likely to have the disease are temporarily quarantined when they return from West Africa certainly would.

Perceptions are a very important part of the public health arena. In this case the perception that sick people just have the flu is a really good one even if the flu is more likely to kill you than an Ebola patient at that stage.

15. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

It's a sliding scale. The doctor who got on the train with Ebola was not feeling right... but wasn't deathly ill. Which means he might have been a tiny bit contagious. But not even close to being very contagious. (In case it wasn't clear, I was being HIGHLY sarcastic with my previous posts about that doctor.)

This nurse is in northern Maine. Is pretty well beyond the normal period of infection (although not entirely). She is self-monitoring. There is no reason for what is basically house arrest.

But again, ignorance and fear can be powerful motivators. Girl I work with was afraid that the person puking on the train had Ebola. Despite the fact that the person on the train reeked of booze.

16. Barry the Baptist

I thought she had a fever when she returned which is what set off the quarantine?

You'll have to pardon me if my info isn't correct, I'm in the Philippines and Ebola is a non story here so getting actual news on it isn't easy.

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You mopes realize this nurse is in Fort Kent, Maine, right? That's by definition essentially quarantined from pretty much all of civilization as it is.

deathstar likes this.
  18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Wonder if her boyfriend's strapping his shit or settling for latex-gloved handjobs until the 11th?

....not really, but...

19. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Yeah, but what about the Clap?

_

20. Barry the Baptist

Hahahaha maybe up in Pampamga where the Navy goes, I hear that's where all the high priced whores hangout