Cooks over Beckam Jr all day

Discussion in 'Draft' started by GriffDog, Apr 28, 2014.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It's funny that there are a LOT of those outliers every year. Players who were so-so in college, some of them hardly started, or were stuck on the depth chart below players who were just as good or better. They fall to the middle and lower rounds, are drafted, then within a year or two are solid starters producing at a much higher level than they did in college, some at the highest level in the game. Some people are just late bloomers or never got solid, quality coaching in college, or their skills really didn't fit the system they played in in college, or there was some sort of personality conflict or issue between the player and his coaches and they never got the chance to show what they could do.

2. JetFighter

JetFighter Active Member

I love how some of the "experts" are saying that the concern with Cooks is they feel he may be better in the slot because of his size. Cooks is 5'10", Beckham who they indicate would be a great wideout, is 5'11"1/4.

So for the distance beetween this star:

* and this star, Cooks is delegated to slot status? Wow...

3. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

i would like the biggest pre-draft critic of obj to please stand up

@Br4dw4y5ux ...

Axel3419 likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Happy to stand up on this one. Beckham Jr is having a good rookie season in an offense that has been down a lot and throwing the ball all over the place the last month. Eli Manning has had close to 200 dropbacks in the month that Beckham has shone in. It's a month at this point which is not long enough for NFL defenses to get a really good look at Beckham yet.

Anybody who thinks Beckham would have been doing this with Geno and Vick dropping back 30 times a game is wrong.

It's a good sign for the Giants that Beckham and Eli have developed the chemistry they have but this isn't the first time Eli Manning has made an average receiver look really good for awhile. Steve Smith caught 107 balls from Eli in 2009. Hakeem Nicks had back to back years at 76 and 79. Mario Manningham caught 59 balls in 2009 with 5 TD's and then 60 in 8 starts in 2010 with 9 TD's. Eli does that when he's throwing the ball around as much as he does. Then the NFL catches up to the guy after they get enough film on him and it stops.

It's a good sign for the Giants though that with their best receiver Victor Cruz injured for the season that Beckham stepped up and took the #1 role. That's the first time that he's done that since high school.

MikeSLTJ23 and All Gas No Shake like this.
  5. Pavelboca

Pavelboca Active Member

Hmm....so Eli made Steve Smith, Hakeem Nicks, and Manningham look great? If anything I think it's the other way around. I think you're giving Eli a bit too much credit.

6. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Ouch.

_

7. JStokes

No, it just doesn't fit with his narrative.

I wonder how Marquise Lee is doing?

_

BeastBeach likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Eli Manning is not a great QB but he is a prolific passer. The Giantgs have frequently had guys come out of nowhere for a few years and light it up with Eli throwing them the ball.

9. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I was at the game last night. Sitting on the 30 yard line right behind Giants bench. The guy catched the ball in front of my eyes. I left there happy for 2 reasons.

1) Saw OBJ's catch live from only a 30-40 yard distance. I don't think I will ever ser such a catch live in my life.

2) Giants lost.

74 likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

To be fair, Blake Bortles is trash. Odell I wasn't a huge fan of him because of Jarvis Landry (whom is also doing pretty good in Miami) but man Odell is a star - gladly will eat crow on that one.

Red Menace and All Gas No Shake like this.
  11. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

respect ... but what you wrote is nonsense

obj is consistently open and that has nothing to do with how many times eli is throwing the ball

you claimed that he did not have elite wr potential and you came to that conclusion based largely on his stats ... obj was beating richard sherman last week and orlando scandrick (two of the best corners in the league) + double teams this week

12. Brook!

Don't know about last week but he made Scandrick his bitch especially first half. Cowboys had to double and sometimes triple cover him.

13. JStokes

Bortles will be okay but Lee has shown absolutely nothing this year except being a bit of a diva.

BWay struck out big time at first blush.

_

14. Brook!

I didn't see below clip before. This is one handed catch by OBJ during Kick Return. Sick bastard.

[​IMG]

15. 101GangGreen101

I don't even think Bortles will be OK. He's pretty bad in general. I haven't seen much from him that tells me he's worthy of that high draft pick. Both are rookies so we'll see.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Nah, I think he's going to be LEGIT...... that whole team sucks, esp the O-line. Not a good position to throw an inexperienced (moreso with limited college start time) rookie into

Pavelboca likes this.
  17. 101GangGreen101

The receiving core isn't that bad. Shorts, Hurns, Lee, Robinson and Marcedes Lewis at TE. They also have Denard Robinson who has been pretty good - they got some talented guys around him. The offensive line is pretty bad, that guy makes some really bad mistakes. I don't know what people see in him.

18. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

It is easy to throw a football in Miami

19. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Bortles could be ok. The kid's got a big-time arm and pretty good touch, big and strong. I actually like Bradley as a HC too. That team needs a few more solid drafts to be decent.

Allen Robinson is having a good rookie year. Cooks and Beckham are both going to be highly productive players in this league for many years. This past WR draft was ridiculously deep and we got Saunders, Evans and Enunwa. SMDH.

20. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The first two smack of bust, the last one smacks women.

Idzzy whiffed.

legler82, stinkyB and JetsNation06 like this.