Jay Cutler benched

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Yisman, Dec 17, 2014.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

so w/ a more talent Bears team he has 5 wins but he'd be 8-8 here? all from a guy that has won as many as 8 games 3 times in his entire career.

Bradford is no sure thing, he has not been a good NFL QB and hasn't developed yet(mostly b/c of durability) but he'd be a worthy gamble if he could stay healthy.

I can't imagine he would be too expensive but obviously not if he is. I would like him at a reasonable rate and draft a young QB.

2. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Assuming we address the CB position and get a guard or two, why not? The Jets defense is absolutely elite compared to the Bears D. And our D is not very good.

#82 Axel3419, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  3. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Cutler is one of the handful of vets I wouldn't mind seeing us grab to go along with a high rookie pick and Geno. He's nothing special but he can hold the fort. Bradford is in the same boat for me.

4. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah it doesnt really work the way Junc explained it. When Cutler had defense and less guys on offense around him than he did now, he managed to win. Such as a 12-4 season in 2010.

Axel3419 likes this.
  5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I wanted Cutler when Denver let him go but now i really don't want to deal with his attitude.
    If he cant win in Chicago with those WR's he isn't going to fare much better here.

TNJet likes this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Surgery on both knees is one of the few injuries that carries a high probability of early retirement. I wouldn't mind seeing the Jets bring Bradford in on the cheap but like Kris Jenkins it isn't likely to be the quality of his play that takes him away from us.

7. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

FTR I want no part of Cutler. He is a guy that thinks he doesn't have to work at the subtleties of his craft because of his elite arm talent. That said; above is very true. The Bears defense is horrible.

8. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

That is all true but he is still a mid range QB, something the Jets apparently havent had since Sanchez's play in 2010.....

People are reacting to Cutler in this moment, a year ago the guy did not look half bad and left the field with the Bears positioned for the postseason before Aaron Rodgers made an all time great play. I see a guy in Jay Cutler that looks overwhelmed because his defense is getting eaten alive on every drive. You are what your record says you are but this Jay Cutler play has also produced 12 win seasons, 10 win seasons...... I dont think their is anything wrong with him, he i just stuggling more but is capable of turning it around.

If the Jets cant get Winston, where do they go? Hoyer? Geno? Vick? Its all pick your poison but if we did sign a QB rather than draft a QB, we could perhaps draft Amari Cooper who seems to be the most stable pick in the draft.

9. nyjunc

he had a D that went to a SB with Rex Grossman and couldn't win with them. Jay Cutler is an awful QB.

Cutler was 10-5 as a starter in 2010, the team was 11-5. n tye beat a 7 win team in the div rd at home for the only playoff win of his career. was playing awful at home in the title game before he left w/ injury.

He's never won 12 games, he's never won 11 games. he's only had a record above .500 3 times in his career, not one was a full 16 games and he's only helped one team reach the playoffs.

He is AWFUL. Not mediocre, not ok, not pretty good, AWFUL.

He has big time ability, can throw it w/ any of them but the position is as much about the mental part of the game as it is physical and mentally he plays at a pop warner level.

10. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

I'm not a big Cutler guy but that's unfair. You're talking about a three year difference, it wasn't the same defense. The 2006 defense was significantly better than the '09 defense. In the two seasons in which the Bears finished in the top 10 in total defense while Cutler was in Chicago, the Bears won 11 games (10 with Cutler) and advanced to the conference championship game (2010) and won 10 games (5 losses with Cutler) and failed to make the playoffs (2012).

11. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Bradford would be a great low risk high reward option if he hits free agency. I would love that move for the Jets.

Only thing is they would have to build a strong offensive line. This kid has never known protection in the NFL.

With a good Oline, Bradford would be a real savvy move.

12. nyjunc

2006 they allowed 227 pts, 14.2 PPG
    2010 allowed 256, 16 PPG

2006 was better but 2010 was damn good and in the title game they held Aaron Rodgers and GB to 14 pts. the other 3 playoff games for GB they averaged 28.7PPG

again, they beat a 7-9 team at home in the div rd. that's his ONLY career playoff win and he has played on playoff caliber teams his entire career.

13. BrucekilledBoomer

BrucekilledBoomer Active Member

Exactly. My only point was that it wasn't the same defense that took Grossman to the SB, which is the misleading info you threw out there. My argument was never that he didn't play on good defenses. In fact I noted that he has played with two above averages defenses in his career (2010 and 2012). I mentioned 2009 because it was the least removed Cutler-led Bears team from the 2006 SB squad in terms of years. Now you're talking about a 4 year difference when comparing 2006 and 2010 defenses. I'm certainly not going to argue that Cutler hasn't had much playoff success. That wasn't my point.

#93 BrucekilledBoomer, Dec 19, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Why are we talking about 2006 and 2010? The Bears allowed 478 points last year - that was 30th in the NFL. They're dead last this year.

In 1990 and 1991 the Tampa Bay Bucs were in the bottom third of defense in the NFL and Vinny Testaverde was 9-16 in his starts with them. That had nothing to do with what he was capable of in 1998 with a much better defense with the Jets.

15. nyjunc

Vinny was on bad teams most of his career pre Jets, Cutler has been on mostly good teams. HUGE difference. I don't care how bad the D is this year, that doesn't excuse him from leading that O to eye popping scoring #s w/ all that talent he has to throw and hand off to.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Fucking classic. Cutler has been a disappointment on pro bowl teams. Bway tries to figure out logic puzzles and the fact is that his logic muscles have been torn and discarded for years.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Adam Schefter
    5 mins ·
    Several NFL executives believe that it’s possible for Bears QB Jay Cutler to go from being benched to becoming a first-scenario, test-case trade. Never before has a team trading a player also had to give up drat-pick compensation to get rid of him. But some NFL executives believe that with any team having to absorb $25.5 million worth of guarantees in Cutler’s contract, the Bears might have to package a decent draft pick to get another team to take him. NFL rules dictate that nominal compensation must be exchanged between teams, but it could mean another team surrendering a late-round pick to Chicago for Cutler and a better pick. Such a scenario could enrage Bears fans, but to get a team to take on so much guaranteed money that could be used on valuable free agents and contract extensions, the Bears just might have to compensate a team with more than Cutler to do it.

18. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

That would be hilarious if we traded a 5th round pick for Cutler and a 3rd.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think we should hold out ... 6th for Cutler and a 2nd.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The Titans will be a strong play for Cutler. That's going to change the entire draft. Jets could end up with Winston. People won't like it, but the kid's got talent. He's a leader on the field, maybe he matures off the field.