Mock Offseason 1.0

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFanInPA, Dec 18, 2014.

1. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I know it's early to start projecting things like this given the uncertainty of the coaching staff and front office next season, but I figure that in the middle of a lost season, things like this make for good conversation and discussion. This one assumes they stick with the 3-4 defense

RESIGN

- RB Bilal Powell – 2yr/3.5M
    I’m not sure if he’d resign, but I’d rather go forward with him than Chris Johnson. He’s been very effective in limited time this season. Pair him with another RB in the mid rounds to rotate with Chris Ivory and that should be the backfield for the foreseeable future

- WR Greg Salas – 1yr/750K
    Just for depth purposes and will compete for a roster spot. Not worth the 1.5M as an RFA

- OT Ben Ijalana – 1yr/750K
    I know virtually nothing about him, but he’s shown enough to stick for two years, so he’s resigned to compete for a reserve role. Another non-guaranteed deal

- DL Leger Douzable – 2yr/3M
    A very good rotational lineman at a bargain

- DT Damon Harrison – RFA 1st Round Tender
    The league’s best run-stopper the past two seasons needs to be back. A trade offer for a 1st round pick would be considered given the young talent at NT the Jets have

- ILB David Harris – 3yr/15M
    There is virtually no guaranteed money beyond the first year making him very cuttable if he plays poorly or the young ILB heir shows enough. I’d bring him back at about this price or less, but wouldn’t overpay for an aging guy

-LB Nick Bellore – 1yr/800K
    Good special teams player and depth

- CB Phillip Adams – 1yr/850K
    Shown enough to have a chance to vie for a reserve spot in the secondary

- S Jaiquawn Jarrett – RFA Original Round Tender
    Seems to be playing decently since his amazing game against Pitt… PFF ranks him as the 11th best coverage safety in 2014. Will vie for FS job

- LS Tannder Purdum – 3yr/3M
    We don’t notice him, so he’s doing his job very well

- QB Matt Simms – 1yr/550K
    Gets a minimum, non-guaranteed deal to compete for the third job, perhaps with Geno, or as an additional camp arm with another UDFA such as Blake Sims or Tyler Heinicke

DO NOT RESIGN

- QB Michael Vick
    There was a brief moment that it was thought maybe he can be a hold-the-fort guy… No longer the case in my eyes

- RB John Conner
    I guess it’s possible… Depends if the new staff values the FB position

- OG Willie Colon
    No chance

- DT Kenrick Ellis
    Shows well in spot duty; could be a bargain for a NT-needy team

- CB Kyle Wilson
    His time here is up…

- S Dawan Landry
    Been a good player, but is limited, aging and offers little in coverage. A chance to be back

- LB Jermaine Cunningham
    - CB Josh Thomas

RELEASE

- RB Chris Johnson (saves 3.5M)
    Tougher call since he’s begun playing better, but is getting older, not adjusting well to his reduced role, and a lot can be saved by cutting ties and getting younger at RB

- TE Jeff Cumberland (saves 1.9M)
    I’ve liked him for a while, but at his salary, role, and how ineffective he’s been, this is a lot of money. Grades among PFF’s worst and can be adequately replaced by Zach Sudfeld and Chris Pantale

- LB Calvin Pace (saves 2.1M)
    I’d be okay if he returns, but Jason Babin is a more effective veteran option. Good player for a long time with the Jets, but he’ll be 35

RESTRUCTURE

- WR Percy Harvin
    To be a more cap-friendly deal WITHOUT giving him significant guaranteed money in years beyond 2015… This should save several million on the cap.

RESIGN

- DL Muhammad Wilkerson (5yr/50M)
    It’s time to pay this man. He’s a long-term fixture on this team for any defensive alignment. The cap room is more than there

TRADE

- WR Jeremy Kerley to Tampa Bay for QB Mike Glennon
    Projecting trades is even more of a crapshoot than any of this, but this one makes some sense. He’s been a nice player for the Jets and admittedly one of my favorites. I was glad they resigned him, but he’s been very unimpressive since and as many have said, there are many Jeremy Kerleys out there. Percy Harvin will work more out of the slot going forward. Glennon has actually shown pretty well in Tampa over two years with a 2:1 TD:INT ratio on a poor team… Not a bad start at all for a rookie third round pick... Tampa will probably take Mariota, leaving Glennon obviously out of the picture. Tampa has two outside receivers, but nobody in the slot. Jets get a potential future QB, but in the least one who can compete and perhaps be developed… Also saves a little cap room. Perhaps a conditional late round choice in 15’ or 16’ is necessary too

FREE AGENCY

- QB Matt Moore – 1yr/3M
    He joins a crowded group of QBs and has a chance to start. He’s shown well as a reserve and should be a good depth addition. Other options include Shaun Hill, Jake Locker and Ryan Mallet

- WR Miles Austin, Cleveland – 1yr/1.5M
    It’s a depth signing with the Monmouth product. He’ll compete with the other young guys already on the roster and will probably beat out Shaq Evans and Quincy Enunwa for the 4th

- OG Orlando Franklin, Denver – 5yr/28M
    A potential bargain, Franklin switched from OT to OG in 2014 and has flourished there. A big man (6-7, 302) who will immediately upgrade the line with his skills in both facets of the game allows Aboushi to move to RG where his run-blocking strength will be highlighted

- LB Brian Orakpo, Washington – 1yr/5M
    Coming off of yet another injury, this is a similar situation to LaRon Landry a few years ago. A boom if healthy and a one-year flop if not, Orakpo has dominated in the 3-4 in his career and is a worthwhile gamble for a team that can use a top pass-rusher and has a ton of cap space

- CB Tramon Williams, Green Bay – 3yr/18M
    Unfortunately, Chris Harris has been resigned by Denver, leaving a considerable drop-off in free agency talent, but still with some quality players. The Jets are young at CB now, so it makes sense to add a veteran at the position. Williams, who will be 32 by the start of the 2015 season is still playing at a high level for Green Bay and is a better bet to hit the market than Seattle’s Byron Maxwell.

DRAFT

1. Amari Cooper, WR, Alabama
    I feel better with Cooper and Decker outside and Harvin in the slot. An extremely polished receiverwho produced big time against the best on a regular basis and just knows how to play the position... Just say the Jets beat Miami, end up with like the 6th or 7th pick and he’s off the board, Kevin White and DeVante Parker are also outstanding options.

2. Ty Sambarilo, OT, Colorado St
    This could just as well be TJ Clemmings, Ereck Flowers or another depending on who’s here, but let’s say Sambrailo, who is an athletic tackle who projects to LT. He won’t start in 2015 unless Brick is really, really bad or he unseats Giacomini at RT without a shadow of doubt. He won’t be prematurely forced into duty.

3. Duke Johnson, RB, Miami
    Again, not sure if he’s here, but there are many other great options if not. Explosive and a good receiver, he boasts a similar skill-set to Chris Johnson, but obviously without the age… Great year to get a young RB and he won’t be forced into duty necessarily with Powell a very solid reserve back.

5. Stephone Anthony, ILB, Clemson
    Looking for a young ILB to groom alongside Demario Davis, perhaps Anthony is it.Lot of other options out there too such as Jake Ryan, Taiwan Jones, Terrance Plumber or Zack Hodges among others

6. Bernard Blake, CB, Colorado St
    Another young CB to add to the mix… Blake has good size and a physical playing style

7. Chaz Green, OT, Florida
    If we’re lucky, maybe they can get a pair of OTs to groom for either side.

2015 DEPTH CHART

*** / indicates competition at position… -- indicates clear reserve

BOLD indicates 53-man roster favorites ***

QB: Mike Glennon (N) / Matt Moore (N) / Geno Smith – Matt Simms
    RB: Chris IvoryDuke Johnson (R) / Bilal Powell – Daryl Richardson
    FB: Tommy Bohanon
    WR: Amari Cooper (R)Miles Austin (N) – Quincy Enunwa
    WR: Eric DeckerGreg Salas – Chris Owusu
    WR: Percy HarvinTJ Graham – Shaq Evans
    TE: Jace AmaroZach SudfeldChris Pantale
    LT: D’Brickashaw FergusonTy Sambrailo (R)
    LG: Orlando Franklin (N) – Brian Winters
    C: Nick MangoldDalton Freeman
    RG: Oday AboushiDakota Dozier
    RT: Breno GiacominiChaz Green (R) / Ben Ijalana / Brett Qvale

DT: Muhammad WilkersonKerry Hyder / Tevita Finau
    NT: Damon HarrisonTJ Barnes
    DT: Sheldon RichardsonLeger Douzable
    OLB: Quinton Coples / Jason Babin
    ILB: Demario DavisNick Bellore – Chris Young
    ILB: David HarrisStephone Anthony (R)
    OLB: Brian Orakpo (N)IK Enempkali / Trevor Reilly
    CB: Tramon Williams (N)Dexter McDougleBernard Blake (R)
    CB: Dee Milliner / Marcus WilliamsDarrin Walls – Phillip Adams
    FS: Jaiquawn Jarrett / Antonio Allen
    SS: Calvin PryorRontez Miles

K: Nick Folk
    P: Ryan Quigley
    LS: Tanner Purdum

2. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Haven't seen anyone link us to Glennon before. I like all your resigns and restructures. I'd rather give Harris 2 years if we resign him at all he's aging. I'm sure a lot will depend on what defense we run. I'd bring Cumberland back for another year since we have so much cap room. Free agent signings are hard to predict but I would like a G and CB. Not sure we would trade Kerley after just resigning him long term and honestly I'm not sure Glennon is worth it. I've always been a fan of Matt Moore i think he'd be a solid #2. As for the draft If we get Amari and address some other needs that can actually make an impact next year I'll be stoked.

3. Axel3419

Axel3419 Well-Known Member

Very well thought out and I particularly like the Free Agency signings. I'm pretty satisfied with the final depth chart except for a few positions: FS needs an upgrade, and CB is still a concern (for me). I love the idea of trading for Glennon, but I still wouldn't be overly optimistic with those 3 guys competing for the starting spot. It's better than what we have right now so it would be an improvement, but I'd rather get a guy like Sam Bradford or even Jay Cutler if at all possible.

4. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Nice work, we had same first 3 picks on our mocks. I don't want to sign Brian Orakpo though. Also what's the point of signing Austin and Salas?

I don't think Percy will restructure. He's in a win-win situation: he either gets the money from the Jets or they cut him and he goes to another team, cutting him also saves our 4th round pick.

I'd do Glennon for Kerley in a heartbeat, along with Moore and Geno it's an ideal stop-gap scenario until we get our franchise QB in 2016.

A lot of small signings, very Idzik like. Do you think he'll be back?

5. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

I love this mock!

Also, I like the Kerley for Glennon deal. Glennon has gotten a raw deal in Tampa Bay.

6. Sloup

Sloup Active Member

I've been working on my own mock off-season and I'm finding that the most difficult decision is what to do with Harvin. The numbers I came up with for a contract for him that seem like a decent middle ground are 3 years/19.5M with a 6M signing bonus. Harvin still gets his 10M in cash this year (6M against the 2015 cap) plus some job security through '15 and probably '16 in exchange for a reasonable cap charge (6.5M/yr), considering his talent level.

Another note, Jaiquawn Jarrett is an exclusive rights free agent, which means he can be signed for 3 years at the league minimum, about 700k/yr, no questions asked.

Anyhow, you have some interesting thoughts, especially trading Kerley for Glennon. I would do some things differently, but that's why I'm going to post my own.

Axel3419 likes this.
  7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

- Based on how I saw a contract for Harris, whether it's two or three years doesn't make a big difference because there will hardly be any guaranteed money after its first season, making him an easy release if he does continue to look older or slower.

- And I feel like they'll have to be creative and really explore all possible QB options in order to field a competitive group and I think Glennon has been promising enough and Tampa seems to want to move on already. It's true that Kerley was just given an extension, but he's been noticeably less effective in the latter half of this season and the team can't be happy about that. Especially with the option of getting a top-flight WR and investing a lot more money into a position that already has so much, I think this trade makes some sense on the surface. I like the idea of Harvin working out of the slot rather than the outside also.

- I would take Sam Bradford immediately and was hoping he'd be released, but there were recent reports that the Rams want him back (and with where they'll pick and who else is available, I can't blame them)... But anything could happen still.

- I almost gave them a veteran safety option with good coverage skills (Mike Adams), but I also recently read that Jarrett has impressed in coverage this season. I expect Pryor to continue to improve and given his draft spot and talent, I think it's reasonable for the next regime to think so also. I also feel that Antonio Allen's disaster of a season is not his fault; he's been moved all over and the whole secondary has been such a mess that it's easy to see how a guy could take a step back. But he's still young and has plenty of promise and obviously coverage skills. Miles also gets very good reviews from Rex. I'm comfortable staying young, inexpensive, and counting on all these young guys to continue playing well/taking steps forward.

- Babin (who has been a top 10 3-4 OLB according to PFF believe it or not) and Coples aren't bad OLBs, but I thought adding a potential impact pass-rusher to the mix could make a big difference.

- I gave them Salas and Austin with the purpose of competing for depth. I saw it as possible that either, both, or neither of them make the roster. Just want to have guys competing for their spots. Not an absolutely necessary signing though.

- A restructure for Harvin doesn't necessarily mean a pay-cut; it would mean a more cap-friendly deal because 10.5M is a huge amount for a guy with all of the concerns he has. I went back and forth and whether or not to keep him, but with good depth and Amari Cooper on board, I feel better about expecting him to be a starter. He's shown some flashes of looking like a quality outside WR this season.

8. jetfannerd

jetfannerd Trolls

Still a 3 win team. Milliner cannot be projected as next years starting cb coming off a torn Achilles. His best bet is to spend 2 years rehabbing before he steps back on the field. Achilles tears is usually a death sentence for football careers.