WW85's JET'S /NEW GM & COACH/ MOCK DRAFT(2.0)

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Jan 27, 2015.

1. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

With ~$15 million in rollover and those two cuts I think that puts you at about $65 million under the cap.

Probably looking at at least $9MM cap hit to get Maclin to come to a team without the QB settled.
    About $8MM for Iupati... he'll want close to the top OG contract in the NFL... that's just how free agency works ($17MM total)
    Kareem Jackson I'd expect to be somewhere between Verner and Grimes' deal... call it $7MM cap hit ($24MM)
    Cro another $7MM ($31MM)
    Worilds probably close to Barwin $6MM ($37MM)
    Give Matt Moore Josh McCown/Matt Cassel money $5MM ($42MM)
    Run of the mill ILB in FA will cost a little over $3MM ($45MM)
    Derek Newton will probably want to be the highest-paid RT in the game, (because that's how free agency works) give him Cherilus money $7MM ($52MM).

(got all these estimates from spotrac -- http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/)

Year-1 pool is going to be around$6-$7MM ($59MM)

(got this estimate from overthecap via profootballrumors -- http://www.profootballrumors.com/2014-rookie-pool-estimates/)

That leaves $6MM cap hit total to re-sign any of your own free agents you want to keep:
    Snacks
    Ellis
    Landry
    Douzable
    Jarrett
    Conner

2. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I don't think you have to worry about that. I don't think he's athletic enough as a MLB to be taken in the first round. JMO.

#22 CleveSteve, Jan 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  3. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Huge fan of Perryman, he jumps off the screen when you watch him, but I thinknhe may go a bit earlier especially if he performs well at the combine. I could see Green Bay taking him. Flowers or Collins would be fine with me if Cooper is gone.

How about another Cane for round 3 in Phillip Dorsett? Would be a great weapon in Bailey's offense.

I don't think Maclin will be leaving the Eagles, but he would be a welcome addition.

Also a big fan of Prewitt, paired with Pryor that is a solid starting safety tandem on the cheap.

4. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I saw that. I just consider Ray to be a blue chip elite prospect and wouldn't care to pass on him.

If things did shake out like in your mock I wouldn't be complaining though. You did a good job - that would be a serious talent infusion across the board.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I'd sign up for this in a minute. On board with the Free Agents (though leery about throwing too much$ at Maclin).
    I especially like this draft. Perryman's a hard-nosed tank with a good motor. However as good as the extra 3rd round pick would be especially if both Ajayi and Prewitt were available, I'm afraid one of them (Prewitt?) might be a mid to late 2nd pick. Carden's got a funky arm but he opened my eyes during their early season upset over Va. Tech. Really nice mockā€¦.especially if we could land that Ajayi/Prewitt combo in the 3rd.

6. JACKSONVILLE JET

+1

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Overall, I like it a lot, but don't think the FA is realistic at all after we extend Mo. Between Worrilds, Maclin and Iupati you're probably talking between $25-$30 million a year in cap space. Add in Kareem Jackson and Cro, and you're probably talking $37 - 42 million at a minimum. With Mo costing in the neighborhood of $10-12 million per, there's no money left for anyone else. There's no way the Jets can afford to sign two FA CBs. In addition, Jets have to see what they have in McDougle, Milliner and Marcus Williams. I'd love to add Jackson, but they probably will have to settle for just Cro.
    Your moves would leave us with only 2 RB (Ivory and Ajayi). I'd keep Powell. I've liked Cumby in the past, but he's had his chance and just hasn't developed. With the money they'd save, but signing second tier players instead of the top FAs at their positions, the Jets could probably also sign TE Charles Clay.

AT OG, I'd skip Iupati and sign one of Orlando Franklin, James Carpenter or Clint Boling instead. They're quality starters for good teams and would probably cost half of what Iupati would. I'd absolutely love to sign Worrilds, but again, I think he is too expensive, and instead would look to sign Sam Acho, Brooks Reed or Pernell McPhee. I love Maclin, but see him as a luxury and the Jets need to sign a FA FS seeing as how they don't have a single FS on the entire team. Louis Delmas isn't that expensive, but they still might need to sign someone cheaper, and Kendrick Lewis, Rahim Moore and Chris Conte would be options. They could sign them to a 1-2 year deal and still draft Prewitt and let them compete, or let Prewitt sit for a year. I like the Derek Newton signing and would do that as well.

My FA moves would be as follows:

FA Additions
    Matt Moore
    Orlando Franklin
    Derek Newton
    Larry Foote
    Charles Clay
    Kareem Jackson
    Rahim Moore
    Sam Acho

Those moves in FA would address every position of need except ILB and allow the Jets to go BAP in the draft and not force them to have to draft a player at a position of need. They would really need to sign an ILB if possible.

Draft
    With regards to the draft, I think there is a decent chance that Mariota could still be there. If so, the Jets should sprint to the podium and take him. As of this point, I don't think there will be a single QB in the 2016 draft that could carry Mariota's jock, and I think Carden would be a wasted pick. The Jets should have taken Teddy last year and we wouldn't have to be worrying about the QB position any more.

I haven't seen any of the top OT prospects play yet, but based on what I've been reading, don't think Flowers is the best OT, but that could change as I watch tape. At any rate, I do think the Jets need to find Brick's replacement in this draft so they can groom him for a year so they can cut Brick next year unless the new CS revives his level of play. If Mariota's not there, then I would look to get that OT or DeVante Parker in the first round. If I didn't get the OT in the first round, getting one in the 2nd or 3rd round would be a priority. I would trade down if at all possible to enable me to get him. I love the Prewitt pick, but in your scenario there's no backup FS. That's why a FA FS needs to be signed. There are several RBs I'd love for the Jets to be able to add, but that is a bit of a luxury pick, not a primary need. The draft is deep at RB and they can probably get a quality RB prospect in the 4th or 5th round, if not the 7th or as a UDFA to compete with Powell for the backup spot.

8. NCJetsfan

Worilds made close to $10 million this past season with the Steelers. I don't see any way he'd sign for $6 million. I also think Jackson and Iupati would want more money. Neither of you mention extending Mo, either. I don't think signing all those guys is realistic at all, especially since Douzable, Ellis, Snacks and Jarrett should be re-signed. Conner and Landry can go scratch.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Good job overall but I have a couple points:

Not only are the free agent acquisitions expensive but I am not sure we can get all of those guys (Woilds was tagged last year and after letting Jackson go last year Eagles are likely to keep Maclin.

Erick Flowers is a first rounder but Collins should go ahead of him (possibly Sheriff as well) and Clemmings has the most upside (should impress at the combine).

Cody Prewitt is likely to go in the top 45 picks especially after the Senior Bowl performance he had.

10. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Collins is projected to be a Guard, he's a solid player but not valued in the Top Ten. Flowers is going to be a LT in the NFL, his stock is on the rise and should be the 1st OL off the board. Like I mentioned earlier, a lot of people are undervaluing Flowers....it will change. Sheriff isn't a true NFL LT, it will hurt his stock somewhat.

Prewiit could go in Rd 2, but I believe his combine #s willl not help him, he won't have a great 40 time.

TJ hurt his stock last week, very disappointing, he's very inexperienced at the position.

11. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I saw his post, I disagreed with a lot. Worilds is going to have a big payday, it will be be well over 10 mill.

Worilds, Maclin and Iupati would be the top 3 big ticket players and the Jets have the room.

12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Really? There have been a lot less athletic MLBs drafted in Rd 1.

Perryman is a heck of player, he will be a solid MLB for the next 10 years.

13. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

I don't understand how you mention that I underestimated Worilds' contract then said the Jets have plenty of cap room to sign all the guys you did. The point of my post is that even if you could convince all those guys to come here there's not really enough money to do it. The numbers I gave were based on other players' contracts at their positions.

What do you think the Jets would have to give those guys to get them to sign?

14. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

Here are all the guys who played ILB or MLB in college for the last ten years who were drafted in the first round:

shazier
    mosley
    ogletree (ilb in 3-4 at georgia, olb with rams)
    keuchly
    hightower 6'2", 265# (maybe him) picked 25
    rolando mcclain 6'3", 250# (was considered a huge bust in oakland, now is doing well with dallas 5 seasons later)
    Cushing
    Mayo
    Patrick Willis
    Beason
    Hawk
    Derrick Johnson

The only two guys I think his athleticism is similar to are the Alabama boys, and they are huge. Perryman is listed by Miami as 5'11", 242#. The other guys on this list are way better athletes than Perryman. I'm not saying he can't succeed in the NFL, but it is highly unlikely, if history is any indicator, that he goes in the first. JMO.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I guess the word "athletic" is the wrong term to use, especially with ILBs or most would be edge rushers. I look at productivity and instinct as the most important aspects in evaluating ILBs. Sure they have to have some athletic ability, but instinct, intelligence and productivity are so important at that position and I believe Peryman has it to be in Rd 1 discussions. IMO, your statement that Perryman might not be a 1st Rd player based on his athletic ability isn't quite right, a lot of the players you mentioned above are in the same class as Perryman.

16. James Hasty

His inexperience was evident.

It does not change the talent and ability that he has.

He will impress at the underwear olympics since he is a physical freak.

17. CleveSteve

CleveSteve Active Member

One guy that I do think could sneak into the first round as an inside linebacker is Paul Dawson from TCU. Goodness, gracious, when I watched TCU play Minnesota this year he was a monster. I haven't watched the bowl game yet but I heard he got a lot of national attention for that one, too.

18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

He related to Bob Dawson?

Bob Dawson's Diet Pork Rinds, healthy and delicious. Like a pork rind should be.

Hey! Is that pork rind a Bob Dawson's??

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

19. NCJetsfan

How will they have room? At present they only have around $40 million in cap space. If they get rid of Harvin, Pace, Cumberland and maybe 1-2 others, they can get up to around $56 million in space. Mo will cost around $10-$12 million per. That takes them back down to around $45. Signing their draft picks will cost $6-$7 million. That takes them back down to $38 million. Signing those 3 would take them down to around $8 million. That's not even enough to re-sign Ellis, Douzable, Snacks and Landry or Jarrett, much less leave them any cushion in case of an emergency during the season or if someone is cut following TC. I think Mac will be aggressive, but I can't see him being that aggressive. Even if he could be that aggressive to sign just those 3, I don't think that would be in the best interests of the team. The Jets have holes at ILB, FS, QB, TE, OLB, RB and need to add Brick's replacement. Their first priority should be signing a vet FA QB like Matt Moore, Shaun Hill, or if he's cut, Ryan Fitzpatrick. With no FS on the roster, they have to sign a FA FS and then will have to draft one. That's not a good position to be in. Bowles isn't as dumb as Rex. He will understand the difference between a FS and a SS, and won't have Pryor, Allen or any of the others playing out of position. I'd rather the Jets have the ability to sign 7-9 FAs to address most, if not all of their holes, and have improved competition at those positions, than sign 3 studs and a bunch of holes where there will be little or no competition.

I respect your knowledge of talent, and I'm no cap guru by any means, but I just don't your scenario as being realistic.

20. James Hasty

Don't sleep on Kendricks from UCLA, he is undersized but very good.

Not sure if you are looking past McKinney because you don't think he goes round one or because you think he will end up as an OLB instead of playing inside.