Worst Qb Situation (Cumulative) Last 30 Years?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Jan 20, 2015.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

No "probably" about it.

kevmvp likes this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

At the moment I look at the crop of FA QB's and I see Mark Sanchez as the only guy with any chance of going somewhere and actually getting a starting gig. I thought about it but there's way too much history with Sanchez, he's never coming here. Beyond that, there's a few young guys who were first round picks that failed: Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, and Christian Ponder. The final group are career backups, Brian Hoyer, Matt Moore, Matt Flynn, Shaun Hill, Tarvaris Jackson... And the list goes down from there. Aside from guys that may become available through cuts or trades, this is a pretty weak list of options. Out of all of those guys my choice is definitely Matt Moore. He won't put the team on his back but he makes mostly good decisions, has a great attitude, and is a true professional. To me he is the safest bet.

I've considered other guys that could be available through cuts or trades like Sam Bradford and Jay Cutler as well, but I'm not excited. If Bradford came at a really low pricetag, say $7 million, I could probably get behind that. I want no part of Jay Cutler however.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Pennington was the highest potential player we've had at the position going back a loooooooong way. Most of the others had better physical tools, but Pennington was a student of the game and was able to mask his shortcomings up until it mattered the most. Barring injury, I believe he would have taken the Jets all the way.

Would have been a great fit for Ryan, too.

4. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

Denver has also had Brian Griese , Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler. All 3 were better than anything we have had IMO.

5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

More success than all of them? As if each QB's roster were apples-to-apples in terms of talent and overall team strength?

Match Pennington with that 2010 Jet roster and you've got a better chance at a SB appearance than Sanchez. Sanchez was ok on his best day, but Pennington had him handily beat in the "no-yips" department.

#45 joe, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  6. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Pennington was the QB Rex wanted and needed to star his career here.

7. hardcharger

hardcharger Trolls

There's no hope for some Jets fans.
    The Jets have won so little in their history, the fans have no idea what is required for a good team.
    It's Owner, Coach, Quarterback...in that order.
    Your last 2 coaches were POS.
    The only reason Ryan is still a head coach is because this is the 2nd team he has bullsh*t his way into a coaching job.
    Woody finally hired 2 guys that could guide him in hiring winning team management.
    Now you can start cheering.

8. Charlie Kelly

Charlie Kelly Well-Known Member

I just skimmed over your mostly stupid post but now every time I go to a different page I have Google ads with Obama's picture in them. Thanks, dick.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Possible but Chad had some really talented teams, as talented, if not more talented, than what Mark had.

Chad may be my favorite Jet of all time but Mark was a much better postseason QB. If we could combine the two we'd have won SBs.

The problem is if we didn't foolishly release Chad and trade for Favre then we win the division in 2008 and Mangini is our coach in 2009.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Pennington is the best homegrown QB the Jets have had in a long time but thats not really saying much because he had a limited ceiling himself. It's like Bengal fans saying Dalton is the best QB they've had in forever.

I do appreciate what he did here and he was a very efficient QB though when he was on and there's something to be said for that. NY wasn't even the best fit for him. If he played in domed stadium where his weaker arm thrived and under today's rules that favor short passing spread offenses, he would've reached his potential and might have been a top QB in the game.

But --the Jets made the right decision to get rid of him when they did. Unfortunately you couldn't count on him because he couldn't stay healthy and got to the point where he couldn't make all the throws necessary, limiting the offense. Both of those things make it very tough for a team and offense to win consistently, to win in december, to reach full potential offensively.

They made the right decision to cut ties with him when they did.. He had one decent year in Miami before he fell apart like he was heading towards. whoopy do. Its not like he left here and tore up the league. This team needed a change and Parcells always said its better to get rid of a player one year too early than one year too late.

Big Blocker likes this.
  11. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yep, that says it all about Pennington. And don't forget that although he played well in that regular season for Miami his first year there, he sucked in their playoff game.

12. nyjunc

his #1 WR was Ted Ginn against that Baltimore D.

Jets81 likes this.
  13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

That wording (with that modifier 'much' ) is so unnecessarily pressing.....seriously. Pennington (good guy [like Sanchez] on and off the field) was a wounded duck who never really recovered. Forget numbers, Pennington's career could be summed up in one word: circumstances. Rushed back from a left wrist injury in '03 and right rotator cuff first injuryed in '04 over the next 2 seasons and he was never the same QB. Give me a 100% healthy Pennington and the sky would've been the limit. Pennington's problem when he first came to the Jets was in his very cerebral, Rhodes Scholar candidate head he "thought too much" and to paraphrase Herm Edwards' complaint about him in his early days: "at some point he's got to just get back there and wing it." There wasn't any QB 'much better' than Pennington and I'm not going to look for a "me too!" pedestal to stick Mark on by 'categorizing' regular season vs. post-season particularly as it pertains to Chad Pennington. Pennington didn't morph into a substandard version of himself come playoff time, Chad Pennington simply went out there as damaged goods. In a way he was the Jets' Greg Cook - a damn shame.

14. nyjunc

durability counts and Chad wasn't durable. Mark played outstanding in the 2010 postseason w/ an injured shoulder. I love Chad, might be my all time favorite but he wasn't as good as Mark in January and he couldn't stay healthy.

15. APK 8

APK 8 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="
    The problem is if we didn't foolishly release Chad and trade for Favre then we win the division in 2008 and Mangini is our coach in 2009.[/QUOTE]
    I simply disagree with this statement. If Favre doesn't injure his arm, the Jets are winning the division and Chad misses the playoffs. And yes Mangini would have obviously still been coach

16. nyjunc

we disagree, Favre made his career playing through pain so I don't buy that excuse especially when he played late the way he played most of that season- like he couldn't wait to leave the Jets.

17. joe

joe Well-Known Member

junc...pleease already. I'm not going to get into another worthless, useless "all hail Mark!" whirlpool of wasted time (in this case Mark vs. Chad), the gist was the need, the impulse to press the wording with "much better" which is code for emotional "all hail Mark!" rhetoric. If you NEED Mark to be declared the 'winner' in all of this based on his durability have at it, but again, please already...

18. nyjunc

so don't respond to my posts. Mark was MUCH better in postseason, that's a fact that cannot be disputed. You want to use injuries and all that go ahead but the facts are Mark was MUCH BETTER in postseason than Chad.

19. joe

joe Well-Known Member

lol, it's like you're still so emotionally attached to Mark Sanchez that you can't help but see fit to pile on the 'modifier' fanboy wording in all your ipso facto high handed glory..:confused:

The Junc-ettes: :oops::oops: :oops: :oops::oops:----"Oooooh Mark!...he's our man!...he does it MUCH better than Pennington can!

Talk about indisputable facts, Sanchez couldn't carry a healthy Pennington's jock both on (and especially) off the field : )

20. nyjunc

AGAIN- I love Chad, liked him better than Mark but the facts don't lie.

Mark(6 career playoff games):
    4-2 record overall
    2-0 record in WC rd both on road
    2-0 record in div round, both on road
    2 title game apps
    led O to 20 PPG, never led O to fewer than 17 pts in a PO game
    Threw 9 TDs, 3 INTs

Chad(5 PO games as a Jet):
    2-3 record overall
    2-1 in WC rds, 1 win at home, 1 on road
    0-2 in div rd
    led O to 18 PPG, only 1 time led O to as many as 17 pts in a single PO game