If Mariota is sitting at the Jets pick...

Discussion in 'Draft' started by CJLang, Feb 12, 2015.

?

If Mariota is sitting there at the Jets pick you'd....

1. Pick him in a heart beat

2. Swap with Philly for their 1st (#20) another pick in top 4 rounds and Foles

3. Swap with any team with a top 20 pick, a 3rd or 4th rounder, and their next year 1st rounder

4. Would swap, but it would take more than the offers in the poll

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

Eli, Rivers and Brees aren't going anywhere, those are complete smoke screens or guys looking to get paid.

Mentioning soon to be 40 year old QBs as potential future options is just silly and someone thinking up reasons not to draft MM.

_

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

3. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I'm seeing more and more mock drafts showing Mariota slipping even past us, out of the top 10 in some cases, albeit many of them are from NFL network. I know mock drafts hold no real value but it is interesting to see many "experts" seem to have soured on him quite a bit. I wonder why? Just trying to drum up views or is there a reason?

4. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

i wonder what would happen if the jets drafted mariota and in his "sit" year geno played super well

that would be great

FJF likes this.
  5. al_toon_88

al_toon_88 Well-Known Member

It seems there are too many teams interested in him right now.

The Chargers who pick at #17 are scheduling a private workout.

It makes sense for teams in the top 5 or 10 to feign interest, but not really for teams lower down. If anything they would want to keep their interest low key so as to depress the potential trade market.

At this stage it seems unlikely he'll be there at #6.

6. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

the football gods would not allow that to happen to the jets.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. deerow84

I think the football gods would make it so Geno played well enough that we couldn't justify moving on to Mariota but not well enough to confirm he's a franchise guy. That way we may have wasted the 6th overall pick and we still don't know whether we have our solution at QB. That or they both suck. Geno sucking and Mariota being a saviour is something the football gods would never allow.

8. JetsFanFromDay1

Not sure if this was posted - Breakdown of Mariota vs FSU
    Pros and Cons. Interesting stuff.

9. NCJetsfan

Interesting, but this guy loses a lot of credibility for trying to assess Mariota on only one game. You can't get any kind of accurate determination on a player's ability, talent, or whatever on one game. Besides, since he doesn't identify himself, I have no clue who this joker is or how reliable, trustworthy his opinions are. He is yet another clown who thinks that Mariota isn't worth because he may have to sit for a year. Simply unbelievable. You'd think that this guy just started watching football prior to the Rose Bowl game.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. BigSnacks54

BigSnacks54 Well-Known Member

Yeah I watched this the other day, and it seems as if every breakdown on Mariota (on YouTube at least) is based off of one game-the Rose Bowl. But regardless, this guy just proves the message that I was attempting to convey to 101 the other day- Oregon's offense does contain pro style concepts and even the biggest Mariota detractors have acknowledged this. He certainly brought up valid points that I agree with, but let's remember that Winston and many other draft prospects have had their terrible performances throughout the season as well.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

That would great similar to the Alex Smith Kaep situation the 49ers had.

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

They only attempted 13 plays that were considered "pro style" 7 of them were successfully [I believe that is what he said]. OK so I admit the offense runs a VERY SMALL % of pro style concept plays - so he's not overly effective in that offense and he lacks consistency as a whole. Oregon still the majority of the plays is based off that package tempo plays. You rarely tend to see pro concepts, but a small % so you are right in that particular part of the discussion. Everything I have said in regards to Mariota, that guy has said on the tape.

I've only seen that tape one other time actually - the majority of teh times I've seen Mariota play it ain't including pro style concepts.

13. deerow84

Some of his analysis is pretty good and he's certainly entitled to his opinion but I don't think you can put so much emphasis on whether or not your pick a QB based on one game.

I watched a lot more footage on Mariota yesterday and today. I haven't yet watched all his snaps in various games which is obviously more valuable than highlights but I like to see the best first and then see how often I see the good in all his snaps. With his highlights there is obviously a lot of his running which is an asset but I'm more looking for the pocket passing stuff than his running stuff.

While I'm obviously no expert I did walk away with the feeling that he has pretty good pocket awareness and his speed and agility gives him the opportunity to escape the pocket. He has a quick release which is also good and when he hasn't decided early that he is going to tuck it and run he tends to keep his eyes down field and made some difficult throws on the move and across his body, etc. The highlights I saw also showed him making a number of throws into tight windows and some sideline throws, but not as many as I would have liked. Most of the throws were to completely wide open receivers, which is great, but if I guy has 10 yards separation there is a lot more room for error than if a DB is in his back pocket.

Overall I wasn't particularly blown away but do appreciate that he has a lot of the tools and maybe he just wasn't asked to do the things that we're looking for so it's not on tape. He seems like he has relatively high football IQ so hopefully he can learn to do those things.

14. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

For this guy to grade Mariota on one game where they blew out FSU btw is a joke.

This playing snaps in a pro offence is being way over blown when discussing Mariota. I feel when grading a QB you have to look at 5 things coming out of college.
    1. Does he work through progressions and make a good read delivering the ball?
    2. What is his TD vs turnover ratio?
    3. Is he athletic to move in the pocket and throw on the run accurately?
    4. Grade his throwing mechanics, arm strength and his accuracy?
    5. Is he a natural leader of men?

In Mariota case:
    1. You see him work through progressions and make intelligent decisions with the football consistently.
    2. He takes care of the football better than any QB prospect I have ever seen.
    3. Very athletic.
    4. His mechanics are smooth, has a good arm but not a cannon and is accuracy is good not great.
    5. Seems like the strong silent type that leads his team by example.

This assessment is based on his entire collegiate career where he has shown nothing but CONSISTENCY taking care of the football, athleticism and production.

MikeSLTJ23 likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I wonder what would happen if Raquel Welch suddenly looked like she did 30 years ago and told me that she wanted me. THAT would be great, and just like Geno playing super well, it's NOT gonna happen imo.

16. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

So, I'm all for getting another QB but exactly what would that mean if we did? Do we carry 4 with 2 inactive each week? Do we cut Simms? do we cut Fitz who we owe 3+M to or do we cut Smith who is relatively cheap?

17. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

You cut Simms and carry 3 I'd say.

18. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Cut Simms and have Fitz back up Mariota would be ideal. Geno is on a reasonable contract even for a # 3

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That would be my first thought to except Fitz is only here for one year most likely, he will get a better deal next year if he does anything now and if we do get another QB now Geno is definitely gone this year or next which leaves Simms and his 500k a year the best option to keep for the number 3.

20. deerow84

Cut Sims for sure. You pray Mariota is the hands down obvious choice at starter, if he isn't you go with the better of Geno/Fitz and Mariota is the 3rd guy (maybe the second if it's a really close competition but I think 3rd guy is most likely). After a year of learning it's likely a competition between him and Geno (if Smith is even still in the NFL at that point). Again, you pray that Mariota can be your franchise guy. If not then we're back to square one.

That's not what I hope happens, mind you, but that's probably what happens barring Mariota stealing the show as I mentioned.