Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I'm totally on board with trading plawecki and a pitcher for a bat. I remember SNY showing a stat earlier this year that was along the lines of: since April 20 (TD and DW both out) we are last or bottom 5 in almost every offensive category. It's a shame because the pitching is there... We just can't score. Whenever we get behind 2 or 3 nothing it's almost worth just shutting the game off because it's pretty much over.

2. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

There has to be movement by Sandy asap. But he recently was quoted as saying that he isn't in the market for a bat and will continue to use the minor league system to get players. No trades outside the organization. I guess he doesn't really want to make the playoffs this season.

3. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

If there's going to be a fall guy its's going to be Terry. Possibly Wally can get more out of these guys. But Sandy doesn't want him. Because he'll scream bloody murder over the lack of offensive talent on this team. If anyone goes it should be Sandy.

#1643 pclfan, May 24, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
  4. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

What a disaster. Nobody can hit. This offense is putrid. Bring up Reynolds give him a shot. IDK but do something dammit.

5. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Actually Cuddyer is exactly the kind of consistent hitter they needed in their lineup so they could avoid team slumps like this but so far like Grandy a disappointment. But you can't fill in your lineup or cover for injuries with below .200 hitters. His job is to make personnel moves to cover weaknesses not to hoard pitching prospects. He has enough chips to make a deal and I don't mean another guy like Mayberry. Ps there was a game about two years ago when the Mets lineup had 7 of the 9 batting under .200. This is nothing new with Sandy.

6. NYGalPal

Flores offensively has been great and has been playing better defensively.

7. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

That wouldve been a rough rough loss tonight.

Good thing Philly is so awful.

8. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

They're 26-21...relax. Embrace the rebuild. You didn't really think they were gonna beat out Washington, did you?

He stocked piled the organization with arms, and now he's waiting for the younger position players to develop too. The arms came first

This is a total rebuild and he's not spending. It's obvious.

I doubt anyone's getting blamed for anything anytime soon. Nor should they, except maybe the fckn Coupons. They're the only ones who suck here. I doubt that Sandy wouldn't have spent a little more but for them.

Sandy's got the patience of Job...hopefully it pays off in the long run. It's about the long term...I'm betting on Sandy

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

A rebuild doesn't take a decade. Plus there are inexpensive to moderate players available and he has the arms to deal. Last winter while almost every team made trades, etc. the Mets except for one move (Cuddyer) did nothing which is Sandy's MO. There were guys like Dexter Fowler, a good big league player who was traded to the Cubs available and not too expensive. This is not a -.200 hitter but someone who has consistently produced on a major league roster. The LV express does not work my friend. These guys he keeps bringing up can't hit in the bigs.

#1649 pclfan, May 27, 2015
    Last edited: May 27, 2015
  10. Walt White

He did trade for Bullpen help before the season started. Fowler is a nice player, but he's 29, and we have a CF in Legares.

It's a good thing he stocked piled arms. And didn't trade a guy like Syndegaard for the sake of a trade.
    Look around, Tommy John surgery is common now. If not for that, look at the Pitching Staff they would have right now.
    The field players in the system are younger, they're gonna come along later than the pitchers have, unfortunately.

It appears to me he's not gonna force it. He's not gonna forfeit the future or off balance the payroll[Coupons]. I've wished he'd sign people for years now, but he's not going to for the time being.[Coupons].

To me the signings and trades he has done are stop gap moves until the system starts to pay off throughout the roster.

I never bought into the idea that they could win the Division, or that this is the team Sandy would be satisfied with to make their run. It's not there yet. The 'playoffs' talk to me is to sell tickets[Coupons again].
    Just sayin', it's my opinion on what's happening and why.

11. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The two trades for relief pitchers before the season were good deals. Fowler is just an example but at 29 isn't old and you need big league caliber bats on the bench or to start (and cover for injuries). Guys who aren't sure outs. One game two years ago the Mets put out a line up that had 7 out of the 9 batting under .200. When two of your bench players, Muno and Ceciliani are almost sure outs it doesn't give you much of a chance to pinch hit, etc. You don't have to get a 20 mil player, you just need guys who can at least hit .250. That's not asking much. Sandy is obviously waiting for some of his hitting prospects to make it but the better prospects are two years plus away. This team could win in 2015 but not with that offense.

12. irishwhip03

Bats came to play today. Nice to see Duda and Murph on a hot streak. And what a BOMB by Noah.

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Noah hit the fucking shit out of that ball today.... wish he would have gotten a chance at 4 hits.

How about Ron Darling calling "The Nasty Boys" 1990 Cinci Reds bullpen "The Beastie Boys" ...lol

Very interesting stat that it is only the 3rd time in Mets history that they have swept a team twice before the end of May, I missed the years but the teams were the Reds and Giants.

Mets are now 20-9 vs the NL East and 8-1 vs the Phillies

With the Marlins coming up hopefully a few more W's before heading out west to San Diego where my history with seeing them there says they will not play well but the series with Arizona could result in a few W's.

irishwhip03 likes this.
  14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

The team could compete but not with minor league bats throughout the lineup. Or coming off the bench. If the Mets just had a below average offense they might do ok. But with these guys and no upgrade (ok once a week the team's gets 5 runs and 8 hits: once a month 8 runs and 12 hits. The rest of the time 2 runs and 6 hits. Plus no scoring the first five innings of the game. And in total only scores one to two innings a game. The rest of the time shut out). You don't have to spend multi-millions or give up the top prospects to upgrade these bats. The payroll as it stands now is below 100 mil.

15. NYGalPal

They were talking about trading DeGrom, or Noah to the cubs for Starlin Castro on Michael Kay show. I'm sorry but I wouldn't trade any of those pitchers for Starlin Castro.

16. irishwhip03

That type of trade would infuriated me. Castro does not hold the upside that any of our pitchers have. And we've seen now 2 years in a row with Harvey and Wheeler why you need as much pitching as possible these days.

If it means waiting til the offseason to buy some bats Im fine with that.

NYGalPal likes this.
  17. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Some of the best trades are the ones you don't make. You don't have to trade the family jewels to get a respectable offense. By that I'm talking about guys on the roster who can hit above the Mendoza line. It's the big leagues, not Sandy's developmental team: New York isn't Vegas.

18. Walt White

That rumor, a trade for Castro, has been out there for a while. I believe Chi has a top prospect at SS too. Maybe something could eventually happen but I don't see Sandy rushing into that unless it's for the prospect.
    Terry said after the game the Mets are loaded with top arms....and they're coming. He was like watch out league, lol

They need a Lead Off hitter in the worst way, and a SS. If one guy could fill both roles it would change the team.

Ultimately I'd like to see some speed and defense at SS and 2nd, and a top notch lead off hitter

19. irishwhip03

Elvis Andrus is a guy that would be perfect here IMO. Only problem with him though is he has a monster contract and isnt worth nearly what he's being paid. But he's still really young and fits exactly that. Then we could move Flores to second if/when Murph leaves. His throwing most likely wont be an issue there lol.

Jean Segura is another name that could be available but would probably cost us a better player.

Even still Texas and Milwaukee are 2 teams that need pitchers. Wonder if Niese and Montero could land us Segura.

Walt White likes this.
  20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Segura is a good player, I know some Angels fans that were pissed when they made the trade for Grienke. Segura is making peanuts now but he is arbitration eligible in 2016 and he's going to demand some big bucks something I'm not sure the Mets would be willing to pay him. I'm not a fan of trading away anyone who has seriously upside for a rent a player unless we are competing for a WS not bing a WC team.