(Fill in the blank) If the Jets can get competent QB play they will ...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by WarriorRB28, May 24, 2015.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We should have traded for Bo Callahan when we had the chance

2. Pocket Jet

Pocket Jet Well-Known Member

Please....... turn on some other NFL games and get a whiff of a competent QB.

3. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Geno has had SOME competent games the past 2 years but far more incompetent games. But I'm willing to have some patience to see how he responds to Chan's system, which has historically been tailored to the strengths of the QBs he's been stuck with (Kordell, Thigpen, Fitz, etc). Maybe Geno will flame out again, maybe he'll become average. If he flames out again early I have faith that Bowles and Chan will bench him in favor of Fitz (NOTE: yes that's a shot at Rex and his stubborn loyalty to sucky players, particularly QBs).

TNJet likes this.
  4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

While it's a damn shame that we are stuck wishing for "competent qb play", I'm heartened by Gailey's ability to get the most out of seemingly average quarterbacks.

It's obvious that Geno problem is mental rather than any lack of the physical abilities needed to succeed at the highest level.

With all the talent added at WR and RB...it's all on Geno now. The excuses have run out.

Go Geno.

5. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

get a wildcard spot

6. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

Fail for Cardale sweepstakes

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Pleasantly surprise the fans.

8. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I guess it depends what "competent" play qualifies as.

If the Jets can get 1.5 TD/INT ratio, I think this team could easily make noise in the playoffs.

Geno needs to tighten up how he plays in the redzone. He's pretty useless once he gets close. His supporting cast is no longer an excuse. Marshall/Decker/Kerley/Smith/Amaro is a good enough group to elevate a QB's play.

If Geno cant get the job done, its nice that Fitzpatrick will be ready. He'll have weapons and will only need to manage the game, and wont need to put up a ton of points.

Basically, if the Jets get solid QB play, I think they can make plenty of playoff noise.

9. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

So he had 2 bad games, that's what you're saying....that's why you're discarding him?? He might have had more good games than bad ones, but some fans only like to focus on the negative, and ignore the fact that he was a young, still-developing 2nd year player coming from a spread offense in college. Anyone who expected Geno to play well before his 3rd season, when we drafted him, was being unrealistic, and setting themselves up for disappointment.

Geno was the type of young, developmental QB who needed at least 2 seasons to develop. Considering that, he's played better than any Jets fan could have expected, especially considering the crap offense he was stuck on!

10. Truth4U2

Some fans don't understand what it means to develop a young QB.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

The Bills game was the worst game, I may have ever seen from a QB. He had more then 2 bad games, he had several others.

I put 0 stock in that Dolphins game at the end of the yr. When the pressure is on, Geno has not come though. You either have that or you don't. He is not an average QB, and his play was not competent.

Some fans have no idea what competent play is. You can say he's a developing young QB or whatever, but to say he was competent when he was benched twice is a moronic statement.

TNJet likes this.
  12. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

I always hoped Sanchez would get hurt, but other teams knew hurting him blew their chance at a win. Rex would have rather burned his autographed Dr. Scholls poster than take Mark out of a game. I hope the powers that be truly evaluate the QB spot because going into games knowing you have no shot because of your offense is a cross no teammate, coach or fan should have to bear. I don't want Geno to get hurt, but I do want Bowles to put a foot in his ass. He needs discipline.

13. Truth4U2

He was competent when he wasn't getting benched, lol. :p

Point is, young QB's need time to develop....it's naive to think they will come out of the gate playing like a Pro Bowler. Those guys are very rare. For most young QB's, if they show flashes during their first 2 years they are doing well. Geno was inconsistent, but so was Brett Favre early in his career. Some good games, some bad games....that's what you get with a young, still developing QB. Some fans apparently don't understand that.

#53 Truth4U2, May 28, 2015
    Last edited: May 28, 2015
  14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I've always believed that it takes more than one TC to install a new system let alone one on both sides of the ball. Gailey has to teach his system to not only a entirely revamped Wr corps but to a marginal (I'm being kind here) Qb that has shown only the faintest of flashes. The D will still blitz a lot but Bowles and Rodgers have to teach their system as well. Even with improved Qb play, I got them at 8-8 which is still a 4 game improvement over last year. Any ideas of contending for a SB in 2015 is a daydream. 2016? Too far down the road to call.

15. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

And some fans just can't spot a bust. Look we all want Geno to "some how" turn into a golden swan. History is not on his side and for all his natural God given skills he just doesn't have a QB mentality. If by any chance we win 9-10 games and make the playoffs it will be in spite of Geno not because of Geno.

16. RevisIsland10

RevisIsland10 Member

Win 9-10 games and have a very good chance at a wild card spot this season.