Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Would you give up Noah for Puig? I was debating this with my brother. He's a 5 tool player but a guy who maybe can't handle the money, etc. With the temperament of a guy like Jordany Valdespin who his teammates also couldn't stand. So you could get a Mickey Mantle. Or a Jordany Valdespin. Is it worth taking a chance? The upside could be huge. He has the talent to turn around a franchise. But you're not getting him for Niese. Unless the Dodgers really hate the guy.

#2021 pclfan, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  2. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

I was thinking about it the whole series with Puig. Was it possible to get him for Niese? I don't believe so. Unless like you said they hate him, and maybe we can sweeten the pot somehow to get him.

I wouldn't give up Thor or any of the other young pitchers for that guy. I don't care how badly we need hitting right now. And then Sandy may not want that asshole on his team anyway, and I wouldn't blame him. All the kids we have are good kids, very likable. I think that's by design

Looks like d'ARNAUD and Wright will not be available til after the AS break too :(

3. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Familia got snubbed from the All star game, he is in the final vote

4. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

5. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Why are you trying to tag there Juan? Doesn't make any sense.

6. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Niese keeps raising his trade value. Your move Sandy.

7. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

IDK if tonight was more good pitching from Niese or just terrible hitting from San Fran. Other than Posey there wasnt a single player in that lineup that is above average. Still a win is a win and the team has been pretty surprising lately.

The offense is still a major concern not being able to capitalize on 3 damn errors in the first 4 innings.

Still gotta take it and run. Giants are in a major funk right now so we have the ability to go into the break on a nice note. That would be a big positive considering how miserable the last few weeks have been.

8. Walt White

Good to see Cuddyer lead off the rally for the win. He was pressing and he needed that.

Glad to see Niese get the win too. He's pitched well.

Hopefully Dudu can get something going here. Settle down at the plate. He's played good D tho.

Love seeing Pagan make outs against us. Grab some pine bitch

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You look over Pagan's record since going to the Giants: injuries plus productivity. The Mets didn't like him for whatever reason. He wasn't an easy guy to root for because he made too many mental errors. The Giants, a much better org than us liked him and made the deal and he's been a starter for them since. And btw two rings. And we got nothing for him. If the Mets had him and Justin Turner on the roster right now. It could be a different story offensively. Much harder to go into a team slump with legit MLB bats in the lineup. Instead we are going into games with sub .200 hitters and almost all sub .250 hitters. This is very poor roster building. Even with one of the lowest budgets in baseball it's still over 100 mil. And there were loads of bats available last year at the Winter Meetings. Other teams replenished their rosters while the Mets did nothing. Sandy is a lawyer: I rest my case.

#2029 pclfan, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  10. Walt White

You're prolly gonna get a year, or two, more to see how he builds the roster. So you might as well get used to it. This roster isn't his ultimate vision. You actually think that?

What he's trying to do is rebuild the organization, from the ground up. This with essentially no backing from Ownership

He's essentially rebuilt the pitching staff first, Maybe the best in MLB, and the Minor League System. In the past, one or two of these pitchers would be gone by now.
    Considering every other pitcher on the planet gets TJ surgery, we may have a big advantage now moving forward with the stockpile of arms we have

It was never about the last couple years. Even tho they said differently. And really it's about next year. That's when the Pitching as a whole will have developed into a mature unit to compete on a high level.
    If they add the right couple of guys they're gonna be right there, and be'll no griping about this year anymore

The Grandy, Cuddyer moves were hold the fort moves. So they could sell shiit for the Coupons.
    It's about the youth. In theory the field players will start coming in now.

He didn't bite on anything to undermine his plan of rebuilding. Including this year. In spite of the media trying everything to point out all the negatives to stir up shit. As if any of them know better, or know what he should in the marketplace

11. Walt White

Lamenting Pagan is useless. Turner has a good year on a better offense. He's a good bench guy.
    Pagan had a good year in'12 on a good team surrounded by veterans and a great manager. He's been average ever since and had nothing to do last year with their run.
    They got rid of him a for a reason. Not much changes this year with him. Meantime Lagares is developing and is a better CF.
    You're second guessing a couple moves regarding role players on much better teams now.

12. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

This was supposed to be the year. And as good teams prove you can rebuild and be competitive at the same time. He's had 5 seasons and the team during that period is well under.500. You can build your pitching staff and still have bats and have a balanced roster. You don't need a ten year plan to turn around a franchise. And there was talent when he got here.

13. Walt White

Hopefully they get better soon

14. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

As you see. I'm not for giving Sandy a pass. And I don't blame it all on the owners. He has enough money to build a better and a more balanced team. I give Sandy credit for two good trades. But he also gave up the present: one of the best bats in baseball in Beltran who produced after he left the Mets and a Cy Young Award winner. Matt Harvey the best pitcher on the Mets, Steven Matz and de Grom he had nothing to do with. The players he got in return in those 2 trades like Travis and Wheeler: a lot of injuries.

15. Walt White

It was?
    So, if they're in the thick of things next year, and there's youth left and right, no good?

I guess you'll have to live with that

16. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Hey if they make the playoffs I'll denounce myself and apologize to Sandy.But 2015 was the announced year this team was going for it. There has been no push at all personnel wise or financially. I just hate developing the minors and forgetting about the big league club. This is what I've seen for five years now. I think Sandy would be a good Farm Director but he sucks as a GM. Also name me one good FA signing of Sandy when he has spent money.

17. Walt White

He BS'd the last three years, counting this year. He predicted the playoffs last year, lol. You cannot evaluate him without putting the Coupons into the equation. He was paid to lie for them.
    I think they're closer than you think. I told you, I embraced the rebuild. I was kicking and screaming about this up until the end of last season, when you could see some light at the end of the tunnel with the pitching staff
    There's nothing you can do and he's not going anywhere. He rebuilt it from the foundation up. If you don't spend any money you can't do it any faster.
    I don't know this, but I suspect our youth pipeline is better than it's been in years.
    And I do blame the Coupons for the pace of this

18. Walt White

If he succeeds the shame of it will be that these owners will reap the rewards of it and it won't change their tactics.

They suck and they don't deserve the great NY Mets fans

19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

He didn't do that much in 5 years. He hasn't drafted one player yet who has excelled on the MLB roster. And he's had top draft selections. The two trades I gave him credit for but he gave up good MLB proven talent to get prospects. His free agents signings starting with Frank Francisco haven't been good ones even when he's spent money. So where's this good job he's done.

20. Walt White

Maybe the best Pitching Staff organizationally amassed under his watch, and a rebuilt Minor League pipeline, and a wild card battle right now as we speak. If we battle for the division next year, and become a competitive team consistently I don't know what you'll complain about then. But Sandy not acing every move he made sounds about right

Never mind the future. Just keep complaining like they're supposed to fire him now at this point. Then what? Like anything would've changed their lot at this point other than some major money moves.

I get it, you hate fuckn Sandy. Let's not root for the team. Sandy sucks and it's shit.