Adding Speed

Discussion in 'Draft' started by nyjetsmets89, Feb 11, 2016.

1. nyjetsmets89

nyjetsmets89 Well-Known Member

Which prospects will give us an immediate impact with their speed?

I'm thinking OLB, ILB, WR/KR, and S/CB

Saw a report saying we're high on Qvale and might put him at RT and cut Breno. I believe we may look at this draft to add speed for multiple positions, but OLB or ILB seems most likely to be our 1st round pick. We really need a KR too, desperately.

Any ideas?

Off the top of my head: Leonard Floyd, Reggie Ragland, Scooby Wright, Sterling Shepherd, Pharaoh Cooper, Stacy Coley, Kentrell Brothers

2. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Deion Jones from LSU could add a lot of speed to this defense. At the senior bowl, he practiced at ILB for a 3-4 defense and OLB for a 4-3 front. He's a one year starter because he was stuck behind Kwon Alexander. They are also similar players.

jetsons121 likes this.
  3. nyjetsmets89

I was going to list him also. I think he had an up and down series of practices at the SB? Got beat on an up and out which terrifies me since I just keep thinking of Demario trailing every RB he's ever covered. But I wouldn't mind Jones he could be good for us and he's suppose to be smart too. Really solid special teamer as well

jetsons121 likes this.
  4. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

Up until this year, he was probably the ace special teams player at LSU, so he would make an immediate impact there. He is also normally a very good coverage LB and was always on the field in nickel and dime situations.

jetsons121 likes this.
  5. nyjetsmets89

Sterling Shepard getting rave reviews. Next Steve Smith? I'd probably take him in the 2nd if he even lasts that long

6. BleedGreen4ever

BleedGreen4ever Active Member

You want to add speed? You trade Mo to Oakland for their 14th and maybe a mid round pick, draft Leonard Floyd at that spot, then with the 20th pick you get Darron Lee. And that's almost worst case scenario maybe someone like Jaylon Smith, or Noah Spence falls to one of those picks.

As long as we find a way to sign Snacks (5 years 33 million) our entire defense would be set for quite a few years. Use the rest of the draft to add talent on the offensive side. Mainly running back and a future OT sooner than later. We would have a championship defense and would be absolutely STACKED with young talent in the front 7, and we all know our secondary is top notch.

Add depth at WR, and corner throughout the rest of the draft, hopefully one that is a punt returner. Maybe a developmental QB somewhere in there.

Oh yeah sign Fitzmagic. 2 years 22million
    Sign some Veterans to fill out the roster.

KingRoach and jetsons121 like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

As much as I want and we need a pass rusher, if Mac traded up with Oakland and then took Leonard Floyd at #14, I'd be screaming for his head. That's would be about the worst thing he could do. We can't afford to trade up, and that would be a huge reach for Floyd unless he shoots up the charts following the Combine.

$22 million is also waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much to pay Fitz a year. If that's what it will cost to re-sign him, I'd rather start Geno.

tbruner12 likes this.
  8. BleedGreen4ever

I mean did you even read what I wrote? I honestly was thinking of worst case scenario if we owned the 14th and 20th pick, something that is doable without unrealistic expectations.
    I believe Floyd is going to bulk up a bit and blow the combine out of the water, much like Beasly did last year.

22 million is also realistic. That's 11 million a year, there are only 3 starting QBs in the league that make less than 10 million a year.

9. NCJetsfan

Yes, I read what you wrote, but evidently not carefully enough. My apologies for that. I was multitasking and missed that you were using Mo to trade up with Oakland. That part would be fine.

I focused more on taking Floyd at #14. While it would be great to get the 14th pick and another for Mo, taking Floyd at #14 would be nuts at least right now. Right now he is rated around 20 or lower not 14. Unless he shoots up the draft boards, that would be a huge reach. He may blow the Combine out of the water, but that doesn't mean that Mac would take him. He takes the BAP, and I think he bases that more on game tapes and scouting in games than he does Combine performance, so unless he thought Floyd was the BAP, he wouldn't take him and shouldn't.

$22 million may be realistic for Fitz, but I think it's way too much. He's had only a couple of good seasons in his career, and his lack of arm strength is a liability, especially at the end of the season. He could just as easily revert to form next season and play poorly as he could have another very good season or he could go down early with an injury. What if Petty comes to TC and blows Fitz out of the water? You don't want to pay your backup QB $11 million next season, or worse, you don't want to pay him that much while he sits on IR. We were lucky he stayed healthy last season. He's had a pretty fair number of injuries in his career, and with his aggressive running style, he could easily get hurt.

Even with Mo traded, I wouldn't give Fitz more than $9 million per season, and even that is a little high imo. The whole reason for trading Mo would be to avoid having to pay him $15-$16 million per year and thus enable the Jets to sign not only their own FAs that they want to retain but hopefully, sign a few outside FAs to address needs. I certainly then wouldn't turn around and give most of that savings to Fitz. If they're going to trade Mo, then they need to be able to re-sign Snacks. IMO for that $15-$16 million in cap savings, the Jets need to be able to re-sign Fitz, Snacks and maybe Powell or another player.

tbruner12 likes this.
  10. BleedGreen4ever

Floyd at 14 isn't ideal but the name of the thread is adding speed... Floyd and Lee do that.
    Also Walterfootball a site that updates their mock drafts on nearly a daily basis has Floyd at that spot to Oakland as of today. He is also a perfect fit for our defense, Mac talked about adding speed and a finesse pass rusher that is Floyd to a T.

I would love to say Noah Spence at 14 and jaylon smith at 20 but let's be real, some websites may have that, but I doubt it happens.

Unfortunately in today's nfl QBs come at a premium because of high demand. Fitzpatrick is the perfect guy for the job and is already established in this offense and has a great relationship with his wide receivers we shouldnt let him test the market, give him a fair deal and get it done.

If Petty comes in and blows him away I don't care if he's on the bench making 11 million because the same amount is allocated towards the cap. Also that means we probably have a franchise QB.

jetsons121 likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Fair enough. Floyd may be all that and a bag of chips. I haven't seen enough of him, but several posters here don't seem that high on him largely due to his lack of weight.

The team definitely needs to add speed, especially at OLB, but they need more than just speed. They need players that have coverage ability, can pressure opposing QBs, will have an impact and are playmakers. Demario Davis is fast, but he's not worth crap.

The Jets may very well pay Fitz $11 million or more, but I hope they don't. Whereas he was an excellent choice last season, and I like him, the Jets' cap is just too tight. If Mac can figure out a way to make it all work paying Fitz $11 million, Mo $15+ million, Snacks $5 million plus Powell and be able to sign some 2nd tier FAs to address needs, great. I just don't see how he's going to be able to do it.

jetsons121 likes this.
  12. BleedGreen4ever

Totally agree and the lack of weight is a problem and before I take him at 14 I would need to see him fill out his frame, or at least show that with an nfl workout regiment that he is capable of doing so.

Like you I don't see us fitting all those guys under the cap either which is why I would trade Mo to the highest bidder. Also with the numbers I proposed that is basically the limit in which I would go.

13. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

A fair deal for Fitz would be incentive laden. I'm sure Fitz isn't the only QB in the league who could have a great season with Marshall and Co. catching passes. I hate to remind all the Fitz fans, but in the biggest game of the year, playoff hopes hinging, he shit the bed. It is what it is. I pray Petty walks into camp and destroys Fitz's last year stats. I like Fitz. He is a glue guy with intellect. Good for our team in ways, but unfortunately, limited in ways as well. I don't think he will be the second QB in Jets history to lead us to the SB.
    Just saying

14. BleedGreen4ever

I like like the idea of an incentive laden contract but I don't know how that affects the cap. Do you? While Fitz is definitely somewhat limited physically he's the guy that turned this thing around. Did you not hear our star player and team MVP Brandon Marshal pound the table for Fitz? It's who he wants, it's who the rest of the team wants as well. He's a leader and did a great job, I hope he's back and it would be a major disappointment if he wasn't.

#14 BleedGreen4ever, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  15. BleedGreen4ever

Let me add that this should not stop us from thinking long term, signing Fitz that is. If an opportunity arises where we find a younger player who is more capable I wouldn't hesitate to move on via draft or FA. But he could be a great mentor for our QB of the future.