Sheldon Richardson 5th year option exercised (but not Milliner)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ConcordeChops, May 2, 2016.

1. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Manish Mehta
    Jets have officially exercised Sheldon Richardson's fifth year option, per source. $8.069M in 2017

Rich Cimini
    As expected, Jets exercised fifth-year option for Sheldon Richardson ($8M). They won't pick up Dee Milliner's...

Manish Mehta
    Obviously the Jets will not be picking up Dee Milliner's 5th-year option. Milliner was the first draft pick of the short-lived Idzik regime

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Well, I really hope we either keep one of Mo or Shelden here long term.

Obviously prefer Mo to Shelden's attitude but Sheldon is a big time player. But I know he wants to get paid too.

:(

Enjoy while this lasts fans, our d-line is getting to expensive to keep

3. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

I just hope Milliner steps up this year. His performance could really solidify the defense, and it would be unexpected.

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Maccagnan calm, soft voice:

Now Dee, we are going to go ahead and decline your option, okay? We are going to go do our due diligence. No need to worry. You are going to go out there, play like we know you can and hopefully we will bring you back as a free agent, okay? Okay, great.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. DefenseWinsChampionships

I agree. It's a shame we lost Harrison. Loved Snacks. By far one of the strongest run-stuffing players within the league. It's disheartening to think we could've featured a 4 man front of Wilkerson, Harrison, Richardson & Williams for years to come. Offenses can not run the ball against that D-Line & opposing QB's would've been under heavy stress throughout the entire game. Unfortunately we've already lost Harrison and appears as if we're not going to keep/pay Wilkerson long term. Then as you mentioned Sheldon Richardson is going to want a big time contract as well. I love Revis along with everything he does for our defense but i would've much rather kept the defensive-line nucleus of Wilkerson, Harrison & Richardson together long-term (if possible) rather than paying an aging Revis his monster contract. I really do not like the thought of losing D.Harrison. Snacks dominated the L.O.S. After losing Harrison all i can say is thankfully Williams fell to us during last years draft but damn do i dislike the idea of losing Harrison this offseason and potentially losing Mo within the near future.

TNJet likes this.
  6. hastygreen

hastygreen Well-Known Member

Milliner has been a complete waste of a pick. He had a 4-5 game stretch at the end of 2013 where he looked somewhat competent and the last 2 seasons on extended vacation. Number 9 pick and he's probably battling his doppleganger (Mcdougal) for the 6th CB slot. I know nothing is guaranteed with the draft, but my god, this team manages to get so little out of some of the players taken in the 2nd - 4th rounds its ridiculous.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In 2019 we might well have Fill in the blank at LE, Deon Simon at NT, Leonard Williams at 3T and Lorenzo Mauldin at RE, with Jordan Jenkins at Sam, Fill in the blank at Mike and Darron Lee at Will.

8. Sanchize0829

Sanchize0829 Well-Known Member

So what happens if Dee has a good season as a starting CB? We can't extend him prior to the end of the season? He will automatically be a free agent at the end of the season?

9. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

He would be a FA.

But we can extend him at any point

10. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

im still shocked milliner is on the team. he should have been cut long ago

blackssmagic, Newyawka and Red Menace like this.
  11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

revis isnt the problem, he is gone after this year as well,.

there is just no way you can sign wilkerson to what he wants.

12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

think of it this way. If we keep wilk at say 14 mil a year like he wants, plus rich making 8 mil next year that means we have 22mil plus our 6th overall pick last year all tied up in the DE position only. I Just can't see a world where we keep williams, rich, and wilk all long term. If we don't trade wilk this year, he'll likely be gone next year

13. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

He has taken too much of our money to date. Let him see if someone else wants him. The point was not to pay him that large chunk of 5th year money, I think. Could they re sign him for lower if they want?

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets couldn't guarantee Milliner's salary next year because the guarantee kicks in if he's injured and unable to play by the time the guarantee would normally kick in at the beginning of the league year. Given his injury history you can't give him a $11.9M guarantee.

I'm sure they'd have given him the guarantee and then cut him before it came due if they weren't bound to pay him if he got hurt in between. Think about how hard it is to certify a player who ended the previous season on IR between the end of the season and the beginning of the next league year.

15. Jets Esq.

Jets Esq. Guest

If he'd been a mid or late round pick, he'd be out of the league by now. But a top-10 overall pick gets every benefit of the doubt. GMs are terrified of seeing those players go off and be stars on other teams, giving them away for nothing. Also because of his signing bonus and guaranteed money, we would have no cap savings if we cut him. If we let him stay for one last year, even if he gets injured in training camp, we might get a comp pick for him.

Since he was highly rated coming into the draft, some GMs will be interested in seeing what he can do in training camp and the preseason.

FJF and Br4d like this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Yup, anyone picked in the top 10 will get every chance possible to succeed. just look at gholston and aaron maybin.

Jets Esq. likes this.
  17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

.....and then Milliner sprained his wrist shaking Maccagnan's hand after the meeting.

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Goodbye to Dee the slack jawed yokle.
    Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

19. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

....because it would injure your tail bone and you'd be on IRR again

Royal Tee likes this.
  20. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

The end of the world as it is written. The harbinger of the apocalypse will sound.

"And he who is madeth of glass, shall intercept many a pass"
    "The end will be nigh"