Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Fitzmajic? How that?

2. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

split the difference? hell the fuck no.

if we even sign him to that deal as reported ill be as pissed as i have been in a long time as a jets fan. 12 million a year to a glorified backup who we couldnt make the playoffs with in a career year with a super weak schedule and getting help from other teams.

I have SERIOUS doubts about macagnan if these reports are true.

Section 336 likes this.
  3. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Because he CAN'T bet on himself. Because he KNOWS he will lose betting on himself.

Last year was a stopgap guy playing ok against a weak schedule. He did well, but this year defenses will adjust and the near-INTs will become INTs, and Fitz knows it.

WTF is wrong with some of you?! Today is just like 2 months ago: Jets are the only market for RF and thus he is worth whatever Mac is willing to pay.

It DOESNT MATTER that he is the best QB on the roster.

It DOESNT MATTER what kind of records he put up last year.

It DOESNT MATTER which WRs like him.

Jets want them for continuity. We are NOT winning SB with Fitz. Frankly, 12M for comfort is TOO generous.

And yes, Geno probably still sucks balls, but it DOESNT MATTER with which QB Jets are NOT winning SB.

I'd rather give final evaluation to Geno for 1M then overpay Fitz.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The offer is not 12M per year. Unless Fitz hits the incentives, the cap hit is 8M per year with 4M dead money if Fitz is cut in 2017 and 2M in 2018.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

All true about his qualifications, but we didn't pick up any other QB so Fitz is it :

Our best chance of winning according to CS

Ill listen if you have a better solution or what Mac should have done

6. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Question #1 - Winning what?

Question #2 - If you over pay for Fitz, where does the money come from and how does that impact the teams chance of winning not just now, but in the future?

Giving Fitz anywhere near that kind of dough would be a HUGE mistake no matter how you slice it.

jerseyjay14 likes this.
  7. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Ans #1 A winning volleyball season

Ans #2 When we spent hugh amounts of money getting MeVi$ and Cromartie no one said anything. The GM might have overspent a taad too much. Now that was a HUGH mistake for 2 guys that imo were worth less. Plus he gave Fitz only a one year deal (who knew what Geno and IK were up to). This is what I don't get ...TGG doesn't understand that contracts like Mevi$,. Skrine put us in a bad position to pay guys like Fitz...In short the cubbard is bare so now we have to restructure contracts. The FO has obviously figured out a way to pay Fitz or else this offer would not be on table 4 months

Mac is human he makes mistakes but I still like him

8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

The good lord have mercy on your soul

9. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

As if Fitz doesn't throw his share of interceptions....

10. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

On soul - maybe, but the brain is already gone.

Geno007 likes this.
  11. jerseyjay14

and thats better? dead money isnt a good thing and 8M is about twice what we should be offering after what hoyer got.

i had some faith in mac but if that offer is real its just SOJ throwing money and win now guys on a team with no shot instead of trying to build something longterm.

12. jerseyjay14

best chance of winning what? 8 or 9 games and then going golfing during the playoffs again?

the better solution is geno or petty. because this season should be about continuing got build a foundation that can sustaain longterm success. not a pipe dream at a deep playoff run and then shrug your shoulders when we have a mess on our hands in a year or two

13. jerseyjay14

Whaaaaaaaat? no one said anything about revis and cromartie? i would very much disagree. the cromartie move was bashed by 1/3 of this board and there were plenty of people against the revis move.

14. jerseyjay14

agreed.... last year i was campaigning for fitz to start... he wasnt very good but he was much better then geno and he cost us nothing basically....

now is different. he costs us a ton and at his best we saw that still doesnt get us to the playoffs. so id rather go wit geno, petty, or hack on the cheap and if we suck at least we get a top pick and see what the young guys can do.

NCJetsfan and King Koopa like this.
  15. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Too bad we drafted the wrong QB. Lynch was there for the taking. Could have cut Geno signed Fitz to mentor Petty and Lynch, but no we like a defender in the first round every year because of all the success that strategy has brought us. We might as well get a journeyman every year since the team culture neglects the offensive side of the ball year in and year out.

NYJetsO12 and westiedog1 like this.
  16. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

"You play the game to win."

17. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

When asked how Forte fits into his system, Gailey replied, "That's not the question. The question is, how do we adjust the system to fit Matt Forte?"

This is why I love the guy as an OC and why I'm not onboard with caving to the Fitz contract demands. Chan will adjust his offense to the pieces at his disposal. Gone are the ridiculous forced system's of the past. I even have faith that Geno could be an average QB in the system Chan creates for him.

PulseJet and FJF like this.
  18. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

In the last few years -- signed or traded for Marshall, Decker, Forte, Ivory, CJ, Breno, Clady etc. I would hardly say that is neglecting the offensive side of the ball.
    Fitz is as much a mental midget at QB as Geno why the fuck would you want him to "mentor" anybody.

Time will tell but I would wager that neither Lynch nor Hackenberg is the "right QB" also Geno was and is never going to be cut this year, that would be ridiculously stupid to cut him given his price tag and his actually NFL game experience.

JetBlue likes this.
  19. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

That is until he is under center then all that goes out the window. Fitz is the best QB we have had since Chad.

20. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Couldn't disagree more. Fitz is as smart a QB as there is in the game today. Now if you want to talk about whether he has all the physical tools to play QB, that's another debate. On the other hand, "mentoring" is highly overrated and not a good reason to have any QB on the roster.