What would you do if you were Mike McCagnan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Feb 21, 2017.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

so, you're a bills fan?

2. HAYN

HAYN Well-Known Member

First thing I would do is cut Revis and Marshall, then try and trade Sheldon for picks. Restructure Mangold and Harris, if they don't take a cut give them the boot too (I'd prefer to keep Mangold). Then sign a veteran QB. Who? Idk honestly cuz I think they're all shet but I'd be ok with Romo or Taylor, if the money part doesn't rape us (unlikely). As for the draft, gotta knock it out the park with the first pick imo. I'm leaning towards Fournette because he can make an impact right away, but wouldn't mind Foster or trading back a bit and acquire picks.

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You might be right about Trubisky, but if Mac takes a QB, I'm hoping for either Watson or Mahomes. I don't want another QB with only one year of starting experience. Besides, it would make me sick to my stomach to have to root for a freaking Tarheel. LOL

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

Add Decker to the Harris mangold list. I'd also use his surgeries against, it's cold but youth movements are much easier with money. Bowles and Mac could give us a hell of a look at a bright future next season.

nicg4360 likes this.
  5. Fair enough. They are 3 drastically different style QBs. I like Trubisky's arm talent & actually like his quiet demeanor..I think it'd be a good fit in NY.

That said I totally recognize that there is great risk in selecting him & that he is not a sure thing. I can relate to your disdain for his school....if he was a Wolverine I'd surely want to steer clear.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He's no Joe Namath!

7. NCJetsfan

I disagree with cutting/trading Decker. The only way I'd do that is if he isn't healthy. You can't go into the season with only Enunwa, Robinson, Peake, Jalin Marshall, and Devin Smith at WR. The Jets have enough holes already with unnecessarily and needlessly creating another hole.

Brandon Marshall should go before Decker. He's less reliable, caused some problems in the locker room last year, and next year will almost certainly be his last. Decker can play at a high level for several more years unless he's not the same player following the surgeries.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Because if he doesn't acquire long term talent he's likely to be toast anyway. The job of the GM is to set the table for the next few seasons except in three cases:

1. The team is a clear contender right now.

In that case the job of the GM is to support the window at whatever cost and get over the top before age and injuries bring everything crashing down.

2. The team is a low talent team not in contention at the moment.

Here the team needs to bring in as much youth as they can to establish a baseline roster that can be improved to an acceptable level.

3. The team has just changed markets and needs to do whatever they can to bring in fans in the new market.

This is the situation the Rams were in last year and predictably they traded up to draft Jared Goff, the local hero, despite nobody knowing who the best QB was in last year's draft or even if there was a franchise QB available.

The Jets are in the 2 slot above. There's not a lot of talent on the team and basically you could argue that every area of the team other than the defensive line needs to be improved. This is a clear case where bringing in a bunch of young players to try to establish a baseline to build on is the best choice.

9. JethroTull

JethroTull 2018 Least Knowledgeable Poster

We are in phase 2 next year after Woody cleans house. Right now McCagnan needs to win.

10. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

Yes I did.....

Quite frankly, I'm really not sure what he should do going forward? To me there are so many needs that one could make a case for going in any different direction.

Like I mentioned above, you could make a case to go in any different number of directions? When I look at the team, I see a team lacking in leadership and I see talent missing all over the roster. Mac has made quite an attempt to rectify the linebackers and ultimately (at least in my opinion) he has failed in a big way. The linebackers were certainly not one of the stronger units on the team. On top of that even the DL, that pretty much all of us thought very talented and could dominate at the line of scrimmage? Well, that didn't happen in 2016. For the most part the lone bright spot within that unit was Leonard Williams. It's very shocking that Mo played as poorly as he did?

The offense has needs everywhere and that includes WR. I will admit the Jets have a lot of nice pieces, but I don't know that any of them are ready to step into Brandon Marshall's role and successfully fill it?

But if we could fill the QB spot, then I think a lot of those problems with receivers would seem less important? A good QB can make average receivers look much better.

Really, in the end, I think the Jets should fix the OL. A decent RB and an overhauled OL would at least give the fan base something to look forward to..........

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Mainejet

Mainejet Well-Known Member

I also think what may be over looked in all of us is that the Jets have so many needs right now, that I believe just normal drafting will NOT ultimately make this team a contender unless Mac starts hitting home runs with all of his picks. There's no reason to think that will happen given the last two drafts.................

12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nice analysis

That's why we need two or three extra picks this April if we can get them

Br4d likes this.
  13. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

A few points:

1. Move up for Garret if he is not one of the first two picks (or if we can make a good deal) otherwise trade down from # 6.
    2. Keep Sheldon Richardson for now. His value is low and you do not want to sell low.
    3. Add a cheap experienced veteran to our QB derby. Do not overpay, do not reach for one in the draft. If we can get Cousins, McCarrens. etc without having to give up to much, maybe we do that.
    4. Draft BAP. move up or down to spots in the draft that have the most value available
    5. Cut loose most of the veterans, trade them if possible (keep Carpenter, Forte, and Harris)
    6. Add LT and at least one starter to our secondary in free agency prior to the draft.

14. Br4d

13 starts isn't a great risk - it's a blind crapshoot on a table leaning away from you.

It's possible Trubisky will be a good NFL QB. However there is not enough evidence on the table right now for anybody to make the determination. He did not withstand the test of time and repeated performance against teams that had film in the can on him in college.

Now add in the fact that he would be coming into a situation on the Jets that has broken QB's that did have real experience on the college level. Add in the fact that the NY media will tear him apart unless he's the second coming of Peyton Manning - alternately praising him if he's good early and then tearing him down when he makes the inevitable mistakes.

In fact the NY media would have tried to ride Peyton Manning out of town based on the Jets not improving the season after he took them (Colts went 3-13 to get Manning and then 3-13 with him the first season) and on Manning setting the record for interceptions by a rookie QB.

If the Jets take Trubisky on the 6 the odds are overwhelmingly against us seeing the pick as a solid pick in 2 years. Trading down and maybe grabbing him later on with some extra value in the equation might work.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

1. Do everything and anything I can to get Hack ready to start next year. If Hack never starts this year and Mac signs a Cutler, then it really shows Mac made a big mistake and potentially could be fired. He should sign a McCown to help tutor and help Hack get ready to start the year. This year is strickly about player development.
    2. Get more talent on the offensive line
    3. Fix the secondary via draft

FJF likes this.
  16. Br4d

We're in phase 2 this year.

Pretending that we can make this team into a real contender overnight is just going to make things worse.

It's like the line from Apollo 13: "you're telling me what you need. I'm telling you what we have to work with at this point."

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

sell the farm for Kirk Cousins.... the hell with it. 15 years without a QB, just go balls out.

The scuttlebutt is that he will see free agency now because he's not close to a long term deal yet and he doesn't want franchise tag again nor does Washington want to give him the franchise tag ($24 mill in 2017).

to make it work you'd have to give him a big contract and say goodbye to some other big contracts (revis, mangold, trade Sheldon, marshall maybe, etc...) but that's okay, we need a QB damnit and Cousins is accurate. go balls out for once

18. Br4d

The closest comparison that I can come up with for Cousins at this point in his career is Drew Brees after Brees recovered at SD and then got hurt and became available.

The Saints signed Brees to a very affordable contract because coming off the injury he just didn't have the pull to go to the high numbers he wanted.

They won a Super Bowl with him at QB on that affordable contract in 2009.

The affordable contract lasted until the 2011 season was over. The Saints went 13-3 Super Bowl, 11-5 playoffs, 13-3 playoffs.

Then they had to pay Brees and a 5 yr $100M deal ensued.

Since then they have gone 7-9 4 times in 5 years.

It's hard to compete at the NFL level when your QB is taking a 6th of your cap all by himself. This is why Cousins may well be available at this point even with a free spending owner like Dan Snyder signing the checks. It's hard to win paying your QB $25M a year.

It's also hard to win without a QB but the Saints have had Drew Brees at an all-world level for 5 seasons on an expensive contract and they've gone 7-9 over and over again.

Trading one albatross for another isn't the answer. The Jets need to find their QB and get a Super Bowl out of him while he's still on the first contract. Paying for somebody else's franchise QB isn't going to get the job done and it won't improve the record as much as we think it will because of the talent that contract deprives us of in other areas.

The Ravens won a Super Bowl with Flacco and then they paid him and they're 8-8, 10-6, 5-11, 8-8 since then. Sound familiar?

19. NCJetsfan

Dude, you are absolutely clueless. Bowles and Mac may need to win, but the team doesn't have either the talent or CS to win in 2017. The only way the Jets would win a significant number of games this year is if Aaron Rodgers became their QB, and even then unless the Jets fixed the LT spot, he probably wouldn't be their QB for long.

ColoradoContrails and Br4d like this.
  20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Washington is nuts if they let him hit the open market. That will be some kind of feeding frenzy. i wouldn't be mad if we came out of it with cousins though. hopefully petty and/or hack show something in preseason that gives them trade value the following year.