xxedge72x Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by xxedge72x, Mar 23, 2017.

1. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

First time doing one of these things ever so likely a huge exercise in ignorance and wishful thinking, but anyway here goes. To start, I'm making two trades:

1) Jets send #6 to Cleveland for #12, #52, and #175
    2) Jets send Sheldon Richardson to Dallas for #133

The picks:
    #12: Christian McCaffrey RB Stanford - A total weapon that can be used anywhere on the field in any capacity and gives the Jets a desperately needed playmaker on offense. Love the pedigree and ability here.

#39: Chibido Awuzie CB Colorado - Dynamic playmaking CB that should start immediately for the Jets.

#52: Dion Dawkins OG Temple - Big powerful and versatile. Picked to replace James Carpenter after the 2017 season. Can play OT if needed and has potential to be a very good starting OL.

#70: Bucky Hodges TE Virginia Tech - Playmaking matchup nightmare that compliments offensive lineup and improves passing offense at a position of need.

#107: Brad Kaaya QB Miami - Intelligent QB with good pocket presence is drafted to compete with Bryce Petty as the Jets stick with philosophy of drafting a QB every season.

#133: Corn Elder CB Miami - Talented yet undersized CB who drops to this spot for that exact reason. Drafting to replace Buster Skrine.

#150: Xavier Woods SS Louisiana Tech - Depth at safety and enough talent to compete for starting job in a year or two.

#175: Josh Carraway DE/OLB TCU - Situational pass rusher.

#191: Ryan Switzer WR UNC - May not drop this far. Very talented slot receiver that can cause problems for defenses. Compete with Jalin Marshall.

#224: Treyvon Harris DT Toledo - Big body that can be disruptive and penetrate at point of attack. Depth for DL.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Tapatalk

WW85 and boozer32 like this.
  2. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Not bad. I don't like the 1st pick. There is way better talent available. The rest of it is good based on how you went in round 1.

Sheldon nets us a 3rd if he walks next year. No reason to trade him for a late 4th.

#2 Martin&theJETS, Mar 23, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  3. Dsmiles13

Dsmiles13 Member

If Jets made that deal with CLE and got no 2018 picks for moving down, I'd be furious. I wouldn't make the trade with them without at least a 2018 2nd rounder involved. If we could fleece a first event better. And McCaffrey is def not BPA for us at 12. I appreciate your effort though but this would anger me greatly. Love the Hodges pick though FWIW

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. xxedge72x

I'm a big fan of McCaffrey personally. While he's not a bruiser like Fournette is, he can fill any role and create some insane mismatches. He can line up at running back and be just as reliable as any wide receiver on the team in the passing game. He's extremely gifted and a guy who I think is guaranteed to make the team that drafts him very happy. For that matter, I'm VERY happy that NE (currently) isn't anywhere near in range to pick him because I think he'd be a demon on that team.

In today's passing oriented NFL, I'd take a guy like him in a heartbeat.

I do like Howard and Hooker better but I don't think either of those guys get anywhere near 12.

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like everything except the first pick. There are much better runners in this draft than McCaffrey. I like Fournette, Foreman, Cook, Kamara and even Mixon (who wil get drafted and immediately undergoes anti Ray Rice therapy). I like Dawkins and think he will be a stud guard.

6. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Had to look up Bucky Hodges. He plays pretty good. I would not be opposed to the Jets drafting 2 TE's in this draft. Its a deep class and its a position of extreme need. They could have something like what NE did with Gronk and Hernandez. Just without the one guy being a murderer. I just would stay clear of Howard from Alabama. Its too high at 6. They could send Enunwa, Anderson and Decker in the pattern and run these TE's underneath.

7. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

Cleveland would have to give up more for that trade. A second this year and a second next year would be good.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Pretty Pretty good concept

You are trading down which I think is smart but I agree with others we should ask for a 2018 sec rounder thrown in prefer OJ Howard at 12 if he is still there or the best OL out there. Too many CBs early imo so get those TEs first Like that you want a QB but doubt it happens

9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Jets would have to be on meth to deal away Richardson for a 4th rounder. They're better off holding on and see what he does in 2017 - he's much too talented to expect him to have 2 straight off years. It would be advantageous to both for rebound in 2017.

To select MacCaffrey at #6 that's a bit of a reach...he's definitely not the 12th best - going by many scouting lists.

10. xxedge72x

It ain't easy playing fake GM.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I know you're working hard on it , lol

xxedge72x likes this.
  12. Lee Savit

Lee Savit Member

I would love for this to happen.
    I'm not familiar with all the prospects but i loved the positions you had the Jets taking with their picks. Your philosphy is much like mine but for some reason it seems to me many people on this board yapping about TE in 1st, OL in 1st and i'm thinking no way. Nice Job! Glad to know you have high football IQ

13. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Predicting trades are so difficult, that's why I rarely put them in my Mock Drafts.

I really like Christian McCaffrey, he's a special talent that can be used in a lot of situations. I would love for him to be a Jet, but it is probably not a practical pick, we need an immediate starter impact player with our 1st Rd pick. Christian McCaffrey would probably be a better fit on a team with less holes than the Jet's barren roster.

I'm the biggest Awuzie fan on this site, he's a special player. It may take a year or so for Awuzie to be a #2 CB, he's best suited , right now, as a slot CB or even a SS until he gains more NFL experience. I doubt Awuzie will even be a # 1 CB, but I shouldn't doubt his ability and love for the game.

I really like most of your players and I like Brad Kaaya, I think he's a developmental QB and should be drafted if we get rid of B. Petty.

Nice work!!!

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I like McCaffrey and the mismatch opportunities. There's little room left in the NFL for running backs that cannot catch the ball out of the backfield and create those mismatches.

He might be a bit for a reach but if the Jets feel he's going to be the playmaker we covet then I'd pull the trigger.

At the same time I look at a player like Jordan Howard who is nearly a star in the NFL already and think that we can find a similar player without a huge gap in talent much later in the draft.

Everyone keeps getting caught up on value. Sometimes you have to take the good football player you want or you're not going to get him.

#14 Jonathan_Vilma, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

The more I think and read about it, the more I like staying at 6 and picking TE.
    FJF is right, OJ would immediately help whichever QB is playing, the shortest route to fixing offense.

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I like McCaffrey, but I don't know if I like him at 12. That said, getting him at 12 PLUS extra picks, especially say a 2nd this year and in 2018, would be almost too sweet to pass up. Of course if somehow Howard or Fournette were still there at 12 I would jump on either.

With your 2nd pick, taking a CB in a CB-deep draft seems a bit of a reach. If Mahomes or Watson were still there, I would take them. If not, I would first look for the best Edge or OL, or possibly consider Obi for the secondary.

Hodges is good for a TE, and needed.

If I hadn't yet gotten a QB, I would take Webb or Peterman (assuming Mahomes and Watson are long gone) instead of Kaaya.

After that, I would be looking for my CB, and whoever could help the OL and pass rush.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but not a fan of this draft at all. I like the trade down and moving Richardson. The only pick I like for certain is Awuzie.

I don't like McCaffery for the Jets at all, and especially not at #12. The Jets need a bigger back that has some power, not another back that's practically identical to Powell in style and size. IMO that wouldn't be a good value and would be a big reach. If the Jets trade down to #12, then imo either Ramczyk, Williams or Davis, or a CB should be the pick, not McCaffery.

Dawkins sounds like he could be a good player, but the Jets have more immediate and pressing needs than an OG. They quite possibly could get a real OT in Garcia with this pick or a CB or FS that could start soon, if not immediately.

Hodges isn't a good fit for the Jets, either imo. He's pretty much a receiver, and not really an in-line TE. The Jets need a 2-way TE, not another big WR. He isn't a hands catcher, either. He lets a lot of balls get into his body. I wouldn't like this pick at all.

I don't like Kaaya at all, and think this would not be a good pick.

The only other player I know anything about in your draft is Switzer. He's good, but am not sure we really have a need for him. We have plenty of depth on the DL, so see no need for taking yet another DT. It's a 7th round pick so I can't complain too much, but I think the team would be better served taking any other position other than DT or 3-4 DE. Elder, Woods and Carraway sound like they could be decent and could possibly improve STs and be competition/depth, so will give you the benefit of the doubt on them.

#17 NCJetsfan, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sheldon would at best net us a bottom of the third round comp pick, and that's only if the Jets don't sign a high profile FA, which they could easily do and wind up with nothing for Sheldon. They can use the 4th round pick this year, need the cap space removing his $8 million salary would give, and they don't need his negativity in the locker room, or need to risk his doing something stupid this spring/summer and wind up getting suspended. This is a rebuilding year. There is every reason to trade Sheldon now, and NO reason to keep him.

Martin&theJETS likes this.
  19. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I forgot about the aspect of replacing him would negate the comp pick. If it is not guaranteed it makes sense to get rid of him. Even if he goes off for 14 sacks this season he won't have any trade value unless we franchise tag him. We are not likely to be the highest bidder on a long term deal.

He will probably go to the Pats and become a HOF lol.

NCJetsfan likes this.