Are Black QBs discriminated against in the NFL?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ColoradoContrails, Nov 20, 2017.

?

Are Black QBs discriminated against in the NFL?

1. Yes.

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  2. No.

33 vote(s)
    82.5%
  3. Maybe.

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Bills didn't even have an outside chance at the playoffs, they were sitting comfortably in the driver's seat. If they won sunday they would've had a game and a half lead in the last playoff spot with 6 to go. The decision to bench Taylor effectively screwed their season.
    --

The author of the article is an idiot. I suspect he doesn't know much about the game. You don't say Taylor lost his job because of racism. Because that is obviously not true and he certainly didn't prove his point very well. But, I do think a point can be made that a lot of black quarterbacks are looked at much differently than a lot of white quarterbacks.

Tyrod Taylor has 14 touchdowns, 3 picks, completes over 60% of his passes and between rushing and passing, he accounts for around 250-300 yards each week. And he's doing all that for a team that is setting him up to fail on purpose!!

-He throws a nice deep ball so they get rid of all his deep threats..
    -He likes to hold onto the ball and roll out so they put him in an offense designed to get the ball out quickly from the pocket…
    -He prefers to find and throw to the open receiver instead of throwing into tight windows but they give him Kelvin Benjamin who never gets open but makes catches in tight windows all game

--

this is a long rant, I know… but:

Buffalo simply doesn’t like Taylor’s style of play. Results be damned. And there are a lot of teams like that in this league that’s why we see low talented dipshits like Josh McClown, Brian Hoyer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Drew Stanton, Trevor Siemian… etc. etc.. etc. starting games every week because they play the style of football the league wants to play even if they suck balls. (and they do).

Buffalo started Peterman because they wanted that ^ and not because they were out of the playoffs or want to see him develop, or anything. They obviously do not like Taylor’s game. Now- if you look at modern black quarterbacks- a lot of them play like Taylor does. High school teams just put their best athlete at QB. They turn into college QBs with a style like Taylor. They don’t play in the pocket, they use their feet, they throw nice deep balls. More often than not these types of players happen to be black.

The old hats in the NFL they are averse to change. They don’t want to change to accommodate that style like college teams do. Is it because they are racist? No- I don’t think so but they absolutely aren’t playing the better QBs. So the notion – “if you are good, you will play no matter what” is a flat out lie.

2. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

Annnnnd just like that, Taylor reinstated as starter....

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Told ya. Discrimination against the blacks is a very real thing.

Poor Peterman. Can you imagine how it might have been if Peterman was not black?

4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

No surprise here. To throw the rookie out there in Arrowhead would be cruel. When the Bills lose their next two games(Chiefs, Pats) and are sitting at 5-7 then switch back to the rookie. At that point their is no pressure to save the season so the Bills might as well see what Peterman can do.

5. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

I think you can hang around the league longer or are better suited as a back up if you are a conventional pocket passer..a guy who is athletic and can't read defenses doesn't add much being a back up...the Bills decision was just a really dumb one in that the organization choose to think about the future of the position while they were in a playoff spot..don't remember a team doing that since Eli replaced Warner while they were still in the playoff hunt..and that was totally different as Eli was clearly the future.

6. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Magic Johnson, part owner of the LA Dodgers, but I think he is a minority owner.

7. westiedog1

Warren Moon is not a good example. Despite putting up decent college numbers, he had to play in the Canadian League first before he got his shot in the NFL. Not saying one way or the other, I tend to agree that owners will play whomever will give them wins, but there is the question of whether black QB's get the same opportunity to prove themselves as white QB's. I remember back in the early nineties Jeff Blake clearly outplayed Browning Nagle in pre-season but the Jets went with Nagle. That decision smacked of racism to me.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's no doubt that some have probably used that as an excuse. There's also no doubt that what we perceive, the way we see the world becomes our reality, and shapes our future thoughts and actions. There's also no doubt that their experience is markedly different than the experience of white people in our society. We don't have to worry about getting pulled over by police when we're driving a new car late at night. We don't have to worry about getting shot by police. We don't have to worry about gang violence in our neighborhoods.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

It's funny you say this because I compare Tyrod to Alex Smith a lot and Tyrod has a superior arm, and similar stats (Smith has superior weapons, Taylor's were taken away). Alex Smith always seems to get love, but Taylor far more underappreciated. Smith one of the more athletic QBs to come out also.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Warren Moon is a victim of racism. Tyrod Taylor? [Hahahahahahahaha]

Yes. THAT was the point.

11. westiedog1

Sorry, I missed that point in your original post.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Not a problem, buddy. We all make mistake - not all own up the mistake however. [I have hard time doing that myself, for crying out loud. :D] I applaud you for that.

13. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I don't disagree with what you've said. That said, I still fail to see what any of that has to do with Tyrod Taylor getting benched. In the grand scheme of world problems, even those most closely held by victims of racism, who gives a fuck?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

14. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If they were discriminated against because of their skin color they wouldn't even be in those positions. DUH!

Two things I do think:

1. I do think there is discrimination against running QBs. The NFL wants to go away from the run that's why they've made all the rule changes to the game, changed the way games are called. The ironic thing is the QB who could've been the greatest running QB of them all, Tim Tebow, was blacklisted from the NFL for that reason.

He would've revolutionized the game. Changed people's perceptions of what a NFL starting QB is. I believe with all my heart that Tim Tebow was/is blacklisted from the NFL. Tim Tebow was the definition of a franchise QB/player but he wasn't what the NFL wanted to sell to the fans.

The NFL wants what they want from the quarterback position this is what a NFL starting QB is, this is what he does very closed minded individuals.,

2. Mike Shanahan touched on it a bit in a article I read about why RG III failed after his rookie season. He said RG III wanted to prove he was Aaron Rodgers from the pocket instead of taking advantage of his natural athletic ability = more running.

We saw the same thing here with Geno. He's a running QB who thinks he's a passing QB when he played his best he ran proved to be a dual threat which wasn't often enough. Tyrod Taylor this year a guy blessed with INSANE athletic ability yet he's boxed himself into a game manager/don't turn the ball over corner he has SPECTACULAR talent he should play a more SPECTACULAR type of game yes that includes running more often.

They (black QBs) don't run enough!!!!

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

That is utter bull shit, law abiding citizens (of any color) do not have to worry about getting shot by the police - as long as you follow their instructions.

16. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Cops kill about 2x as many whites as black annually. Yes, there are many more whites, but look at the violent crime rates by race and you'll see that blacks commit more than half the violent crime. It appears that it's committing violent crime that correlates with getting shot by the police.

Yes, there are some racist cops. Probably about the same percentage as any other faction of society. The numbers simply don't backup the black lies matter narrative, but it won't go away any time soon.

#76 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Nov 26, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It is NOT utter BS. Do some research.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I did some research on a non black lies matter site. It's called FBI.gov. Looks like the number of people killed by police correlates more to violent crime than race.
    [​IMG]

FJF likes this.
  19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Was it racist when Alex Smith was benched for Kaepernick?

20. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Does it really correlate to race? Or is is confused with race when its really more about class? Look up poverty and crime rate and I bet you will see a bigger correlation with that than with race. Since whites are a majority there SHOULD be much more than 2x of them getting shot than blacks, but the numbers are greatly over represented based on the population numbers. Just something to think about. We all love stats, but they never tell the full story.