2018 QB's

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, May 1, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Here's an article on SI.com that discusses this very topic, as currently seen by the author:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/17/2...m-darnold-josh-rosen-lamar-jackson-josh-allen

I'm surprised at the love still being shown for Josh Allen, and wonder wny no mention of some of the other QBs mentioned here - although I guess I shouldn't be surprised since SI and the other mainstream media usually just play follow the leader. That's why I like reading the opinions here, even when I don't agree with them, I usually learn something.

Anyway, FWIW, enjoy.

2. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

Worth noting that Maccagnan was present at Wyoming-Utah State. Josh Allen showed off his glaring positives and negatives again. He's so polarizing because some of the things he does, most QBs just can't. His physical ability lets him get away with a lot and makes some hard things look easy. That said he's inconsistent in his ability to do these wow things. IMO he needs to change something in his thought process to succeed at the next level. I fully believe he has the talent to succeed, but there's no reason his completion percentage shouldn't be higher and there's no reason he should have so many INTs.

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Tucson, Az
    October 14, 2017

*crickets*
    . . : )

0 TDs, 3 INTs (2 in thered zone), pick-6

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Malik Rosier from da U ... reminds me of Russel Wilson a little bit ...

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

So how about Ryan Finley from NC State? Has been having an excellent, INT-free senior season and was a decent starter last year too. I'm reading that his stock is way up right now. Another guy to keep an eye on

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  6. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Screw that, we need to draft Mayfield. He's good.

7. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

YES YES YES

I live in Raleigh and have seen him live a couple of times.

8. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

https://auburn.247sports.com/Articl...t-just-be-the-SECs-best-quarterback-110442359

AUBURN, Alabama — Jarrett Stidham is the Southeastern Conference most accurate passer and he might also be the best quarterback as well.

The first-year Auburn starter is completing 67.1 percent of his passes and has been on a tear lately in Chip Lindsey’s offense. He continued his stretch of stellar performances in a 40-17 upset of then-No. 1 Georgia on Saturday. He threw for 214 yards on 16 of 23 passing and scored four touchdowns, including a 7-yard touchdown run.

“He's progressed really well, I think, for a guy who early on hadn't played a whole lot,” Lindsey said. “So I think just as time's going on you see a quarterback mature and play more, he gets more and more comfortable with seeing the different looks and getting the right plays and stuff. He does a nice job of that. He's a smart guy. Again, he's a guy that studies a lot of film and he's done a really nice job of executing the things we've asked him to do. Hopefully he'll continue to do that.”

Stidham was 14 of 15 for 197 yards and three touchdowns between the numbers to finish with a passer rating of 158.3 in those situations against the Bulldogs. More impressive were the decisions he made under pressure and while reading defenses before and after the snap. He noticed a blitz from the open field to his left in the second half, quickly reacted and threw a screen pass to Ryan Davis at the last possible moment as blockers set up against an empty defensive backfield.

Davis took the pass and did the rest by breaking a tackle and scoring a 32-yard touchdown to put Auburn ahead 30-7 in the third quarter.

“You see his quick release and those are on him,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “He just has to have the instincts and he’s doing that.”

Later, Stidham threw a perfect throw-back screen to Kerryon Johnson for a 55-yard touchdown to seal the victory and put up ahead 40-10 in the fourth quarter.

But Stidham’s improvement and intelligence is not limited to plays directly involving him throwing the ball.

“He does it a lot, a lot in the run game probably, too, that you don't know about,” Lindsey said. “You don't realize it because he's been doing it the other way or sending [the play] the other way. I think overall he's just gaining a better understanding of the game and our game plan. He's doing a nice job of executing.”

Stidham has, by far, the best touchdown-to-interception ratio in SEC games (12 to 1) and his quarterback rating (173.7) in conference games is nearly 30 points higher than the second-best player in the SEC.

“I feel comfortable,” Stidham said. “Obviously, yeah, every week it’s something I want to work on. As a quarterback you can never be too comfortable. Just trying to get better every week. Just really trying to hone in on my skills and get better.”

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

We will have more cap room than anyone else. Why roll the dice on the next Sanchez or RGIII when we can ride the Kirk Cousins train the the Superbowl and use our valuable first rounder to trade down for more picks and still get a pro bowler at center, pass rusher, running back, or corner?

Brook!, 101GangGreen101 and FJF like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

That does save us all the trouble of doing our homework on young QB talent and taking the time to develop that talent. Something we as a franchise don't do anyway. I agree. Lets lease a QB off the FA market and use our dp's on BPA's. Considering our record on drafting QB's, this might be the sane way to go.

Brook! and James Hasty like this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

and then draft a qb in 2019-2020 to be the heir apparent stepping into an ideal situation. cousins really should be priority 1. if we do not land him then go all in on moving up for rosen.

12. 101GangGreen101

Cousins would really accelerate the process, I really do like Cousins, it would allow the Jets to address the offensive line and overall depth of the team. Cousins would be 30 years old come FA time. Gives the Jets a 5 year window, but at the back of their mind Jets would still have to think QB.

James Hasty likes this.
  13. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Cousins is the very definition of consistent. You'll get 4,200 + yards and 28 TDs from him each year. Basically a Jets record each season. However, he will likely be the leagues highest paid player next season.

QBs are playing into their late 30s, so he could play with someone for 7 or 8 years. I'd take him and then use the draft picks to build an oline and get a feature back.

James Hasty, FJF and grkmanga31 like this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

I still hold out slim hope that they can get Rosen, but if not, there's 5 or 6 other guys that I don't see much difference between (at this point), and they Jets could likely get one of them with a 2nd round pick, possibly using their 1st pick (and some other chips) to trade up and get Barkley. A that point, with Cousins, Barkley, and adding a stud OL and Edge rusher, as well as having a blue chip QB to develop, I would feel 1000% better about this team.

BomberJet likes this.
  15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Trade up for Darnold or Rosen or sit back and take Mayfield wherever the Jets pick. Neither sound like bad options to me.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

The Jets won't have enough ammo to trade up for Rosen. He's as "can't miss" as anyone in my recent memory and there will be a lot of teams either ahead of the Jets or with more trade chips that will take him.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The Jets will have as much ammo as anyone, other than maybe the Bills. The big question is will the team in position to draft him be willing to give up the opportunity to draft him themselves and will the Jets being willing to give up what it would take.

I’d still take Darnold over Rosen but would be thrilled with either. Would also be happy with Mayfield as well as some of the others. Jets will have the opportunity to draft a QB this year. Hopefully if they do draft one they do what it takes to help him succeed.

westiedog1 likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

Rosen still QB1; Lamar Jackson is #2 in my books with Darnold 3. Would easily draft any of the 3.

FJF likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Your faith in Jackson can only be reassured by Mehta's column today where he ABSOLUTELY dismisses Jackson as succeeding in the pros.:rolleyes:

20. 101GangGreen101

Mehta's reputation stands on its on

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  21. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

resident "expert" @JetsFan is very low on jackson too, which virtually assures he will have a h.o.f. career

101GangGreen101 likes this.