Mets Regular Season thread

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Money. Houser is eligible for arbitration this year, and he's been quite mediocre every year but 2021. He is expected to get around $5.5 million, which is a lot for a #4 starter.

NYJalltheway likes this.
  2. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

Once the Ohtani contract breakdown was explained everyone should have known where Yamamoto was gonna go!

via Jeff Passan twitter

“Japanese star Yoshinobu Yamamoto and the Los Angeles Dodgers are in agreement on an 12-year, $325 million contract, sources familiar with the deal tell ESPN.”

“Yoshinobu Yamamoto's deal with the Los Angeles Dodgers is the largest contract for a pitcher in Major League Baseball history, beating Gerrit Cole's deal by $1 million. Furthermore, the Dodgers will pay an additional $50.6 million in posting fee. Total outlay: 12 years, $375M.”

Maybe the Mets will get to sign him when he’s 37!

#12662 NYGalPal, Dec 22, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2023
    dawinner127 likes this.
  3. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

What a joke. Baseball is so broken.

typeOnegative13NY likes this.
  4. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Now, SC has to go get Snell.

5. dawinner127

Don't really want any part of Snell or Montgomery.

I would rather throw some money at the pen and build that up.

6. Savatage

I'm not thrilled with the starters or the BP. I think there are too many durability issues with the starting rotation.

7. Savatage

It looks like the Mets are signing Harrison Bader to a 1yr 10.5M contract. I'm hoping as a 4th outfielder. Solid fielder but not much of a bat....and he's no iron man.

8. dawinner127

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I’m a Yankee fan but I actually like what the Mets are doing. They missed out on the big fish in Yamamoto for reasons outside of their control but they’re not panicking and wasting big money on someone like Snell who doesn’t deserve it. A 5 or 6 year deal would be a disaster with a guy like that.

dawinner127 likes this.
  10. dawinner127

I actually think they will be able to compete for a WC this year with what they have now. They were only a few games out before they sold off everything last year. I remember reading they lost 8 or 9 games after leading in the 8th. Diaz probably gets you 80 or 90% of those which would put them right in the mix for the WC before they sold off. Baty has to take the next step though, that's for sure.

11. NYGalPal

12. statjeff22

My favorite Met growing up. He was a fundamentally important figure in Long Island (specifically Suffolk) sports, teaming with Frank Boulton to bring in the Long Island Ducks more than 20 years ago (he moved to Suffolk in 1969 and never left). He was very active in local events and charities, and was by every account a genuinely good guy.

He also inadvertently helped expose Pete Rose for the piece of shit that he has always been long before the gambling scandals became public.

RIP, Buddy.

stinkyB and NYGalPal like this.
  13. Savatage

I became a Mets around '73 and Buddy was one of my favorites. RIP #3 and FU Pete Rose.

stinkyB and NYGalPal like this.
  14. NYGalPal

15. Savatage

Thoughts on the upcoming season? I think we battle for 3rd place with the Marlins. 80--82 wins. I'd love to be wrong.

16. statjeff22

No comments about the JD Martinez trade? I think it was a great move for the Mets. This is a guy you can legitimately expect an .875 - .900 OPS from, and provide real protection for Alonso. I've never been sold on Vientos (or Baty, for that matter), so the whole "give the kid a chance" thing doesn't mean much to me. They can give him a chance in the second half of the season if they're out of it, but I would make rather be fighting for a WC spot with Alonso and Martinez raking.

Also, has anyone heard about the new obstruction rule in MLB this year regarding blocking bases? This play occurred in a game a couple of days ago, and illustrates the idiocy involved:

Edit: don't know how to include a twitter link here, so here is the link with a space inserted:

https://twitter.com/ i/status/1770879727064039564

Savatage likes this.
  17. Savatage

I love the JD M signing, but, I hate our starting 5 and I feel our BP will be taxed all season long.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

The rotation is pretty bad but I think the Mets are aware of that. They are going to see how far the offense can get them and make a decision at the deadline.

Next year is a huge free agent year specifically for pitchers (Wheeler, Fried, etc.) so I’d guess they didn’t want to blow their load on sub-tier starters like Snell, Montgomery and such.

I like what they did though. They tried the short term all-in, it didn’t work and now Stearns is getting his feet under him.

Savatage likes this.
  19. dawinner127

Wheeler got a 3/126 extension at the beginning of the month. Man the mets really fucked that situation up. brutal mark against the wilpons

Some people actually think the Mets like their young starters in the minors. Wouldn't shock me if we see Vasil or Christian Scott make a spot start in the dog days of the summer. I would love for them to get their hands on Corbin Burnes if Baltimore doesn't extend him.

20. Savatage

Welp, there goes the undefeated season. Only 1 hit, but, they didn't get shutout.

I wonder if Hoskins gets beaned tomorrow? I thought it was an overreaction by McNeil.